Thread: Gibberish!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Gibberish!!

I am having some severe speech problems. Everything I say comes out gibberish. Drs. aren't sure whats causing it. They think it might be CNS lupus but are unsure. It seems to come and go, lasting from a few minutes to several hours. Nothing intelligible comes out of my mouth. I have resorted to a white board and texting to communicate, has anyone else dealing with anything similar? I am really frustrated and scared. Looking for support and commonality.....
    Dx. SLE June 2009

♪ Jen ♪

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi Jen,

I haven't had that exact thing happen but when I first began having neurological symptoms I would blurt out words out of the blue. I was sitting at my desk one day at work and I just yelled out "Serve!" (thankfully my boss had a good sense of humor) and one time at a restaurant I yelled out "yellow". The brain does weird things when it isn't working properly. If you haven't already been to a neurologist please get to one. I know this is frustrating but we are here for you
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thank you tgal! It is really frustrating very in fact! I see my rheumy on thurs. and am hoping she can come up with some ideas, my primary is thinking of running another Mri as well as a spinal tap, but wants my rheumy's opinion. After this appointment I will be rescheduling to see my neuro. as well. My speech is like all garbled up and sometimes just plain nothing but mixed up sounds. at first it was more like couldn't find the words and something totally different came out, now I never know whats going to come out of my mouth or for how long. Thank you again for being here for me, means alot!
    Dx. SLE June 2009

♪ Jen ♪

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hey Jen,

After reading the 2nd post I may be more like you then I first thought. Sometimes my brain finds the wrong word. I was trying to talk to my niece about the clothes hamper but I kept saying "car". I knew it wasn't a car but my mouth spit out car every time! I wanted to say shovel and spoon comes out. I don't have the mixed up sounds but honestly my brain doesn't always give me the word that I need.

You are not alone and I hope they find out what is going on. There is still no answer for why it is happening to me but I know how disturbing it can be to have no control of your speech!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

hey there jennifer,

you inspired me to come back to whl and check on everyone. so glad that you posted about your speech problems....i hope someone comes along very soon who can help you. thanks to tgal for being here.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Phyllis! It's been great talking to you on face book. I hope someone comes along with similar symptoms too. Welcome back!!
    Dx. SLE June 2009

♪ Jen ♪