Thread: steroid induced diabetes

Thanks

Default steroid induced diabetes

I am interested in finding out if steroid induced diabetes goes away after the treatment stops for those whose gluclose readings are in the pre-diabetic phase?

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi Susansom. I don't have that answer for you but I am sure someone will come along with the answer soon. I did want to welcome you to WHL. I look forward to getting to know you
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Susansmom,

I am not a doctor, but I do have type 2 diabetes. I am 100% off meds for that and completely diet/excersize controlled at the moment which is not to say that in the future that will be the same. I have gotten my BS to within "pre-diabetes" limits and have gone to some diabetes ed classes to learn more about this disease. The first thing they told us in that class is that there really is no such thing as "pre-diabetes" from a clinically point of view. It's more like really well controlled diabetes. They also said that we (diabetics) should never ever take steriods b/c of it's nature to raise BS levels. I have had to remind my doctors from time to time that I can't take them. I do use a steriod inhaler as needed but that works differently on your blood stream than oral pills. The best answer I can give you is that if you (or Susan) is actively working with your doctor you can lower your BS levels again, but it really is dependent on diet and exersize.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

Hi Susansom,
    I'm sorry but i've not got the answer to your question but would like to welcome you to the WHL and what a lovely family we all are.

All the best Terri xxx

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

It is not unusual for steroid treatment to precipitate type 1 or type 2 diabetes in a person. Especially if that person was already in the process of developing it. However, doctors are not always able to determine whether steroid diabetes will be permanent or if it will go away when the steroids are finished. But, generally, steroid diabetes (without preexisting type 1 or 2 diabetes) will resolve itself upon the termination of corticosteroid treatment. While this is generally the case, it does not always hold true for everyone.

I hope that this has helped to answer your question. Welcome to our family where we are here to give you answers, support, information, and to let you know that you are not alone!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!