Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merrilyn - An NZer in Perth

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Merrilyn - An NZer in Perth

Hi after a false start here I am Online, thanks to my daughters Web surfing.
    My story starts 44 years ago with pleurisy that landed me in hospital with pericarditis. After several more trips to hospital with what I now know were relapses and being practically unable to walk due to the arthritis "and still no diagnosis" my mother took me to an outside of the mainstream Doctor who put me on Prendisone,Calcium and Vitamin & mineral combination ( what a difference). After another serious relapse which landed me back in hospital the Doctors agreed that Predisone was the right treatment and that I possibly had Lupus. I was lucky to be put under a very forward thinking Cardiologist but the only information he could give me was an old Medical text which did'nt give me avery good prognosis.At that time there was no other known cases in the North Island on NZ. I eventually married my High school sweetheart who was very understanding of the fact that I had been told I should not have children, how ever when we went to get my Medical records for the adoption people we were told medical opinion had changed and we could try for a baby.that baby is now 35years old and 6ft tall. Unfortunately I suffered kidney failure after the birth and we adopted our daughter who now lives on the goldcoast.During my stay in hospital I did hear of another lupus sufferer in the Sth Island
    I'm currently under Dr Langlands in Midland who is changing me over to Methatrexate from Prednisolone which I've been on for the last 40 years. Its great to hear that some of the symptoms I experience are not just me!! others have the same problems.
    Sorry about the long blog
    Love to chat to anyone in Perth

Thanks

Default hello kiwi from Perth

its your daughter here, glad to see we finally got you logged on, and must say what a great decision it was to adopt that fabulous little girl,minus the teenage years its been pretty smooth sailing hey!
    anyway, love ya
    speak soon
    Debb

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Welcome Merrilynn! We are so glad that you found us! I look forward to having you join in our discussions and learning from your experiences as well as being here for you. I think all of us feel a sense of relief when we find this place. It is so nice to not be on this journey alone. Please feel free to look around the forum and read old threads or start new ones of your own.

We hope you enjoy your stay here at WHL!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Hi Merrilynn,
    Welcome to the WHL they're smashing people and so very helpful and it was nice to read your introduction about yourself and what you've gone through, as i find it soothing chatting with friends who are suffering the same but in different ways.
    It realy does give you a large view of what symtems lupus can give you.

Wishing you all the very best Terri xxx

Thanks

Welcome! I'm new too...and currently living in NZ! Seems to be a good site so far!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Welcome to the both of you! That's a very special daughter you have Merrilyn. I'm glad she brought you to us. MrsPony - your avatar is hysterical! I love the toothy grin on that horse!
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Saysusie is online now Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Merrilyn OZ;
    I am so glad that your daughter was vigilant in getting you to us. Your story is so familiar to so many of us and we certainly understand what you are dealing with and have been through. No, your symptoms are not just you..they are so many of us.
    You were on Prednisone for 40yrs? Wow, that is a long time. Have you already started your Methotrexate? Please know that this is a mild form of medication that was originally given to cancer patients. So, you may have some sick days immediately after your weekly dose. However, when this subsides, many find that the Methotrexate helps them immensely. I hope that it does the same for you.
    Please know that we are here to help you in any way that we can. I am so happy that your daughter (and you) found us!!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPony View Post
    Welcome! I'm new too...and currently living in NZ! Seems to be a good site so far!
    Hi MrsPony,
    Welcome to the WHL and i hope you find all the info and help you need from the group as they're far better up in the field of knowledge with knowing things than half these Doc's we see.

All the best Terri xx

Thanks

Hi Merrilyn
    I will probably be online tonight. Friday nights are my 'me' time - everyone else is out and about so I usually wind down after a busy week of teaching. I cook whatever tea I want, turn on my lap top to check out some posts, and watch TV. I LOVE the UK show Escape to the Country at 8:30 on 7TWO so you can catch me at that time for sure. Perhaps we can chat tonight. Just let me know. I am going off to work in a minute so I will check in later on this afternoon, around 5ish to see if we can set up a chat. Great to see someone else is just around the corner (in North fo the River). Oh and I also see Dr Langlands, but only for a few months.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Morning Linda,
    Love to chat tonight, how about 7.30 or 8 so you don't miss your programme.
    just let me know when you pick this up I'll check at 6