Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chatbox

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Thumbs up Chatbox

OK, I may be overstepping my bounds and if I am one of the mods can smack me but I really believe that the chat feature in this forum is not being used to its potential. I can't speak for everyone but I know sometimes I really just want to talk to someone that understands. Yes, the forums help but sometimes I want to have a direct conversation and we have that ability with chat. I also feel like it would help the new comers to feel a bit more welcome if there was a place they could say hello to a live person.

I know that we can't be there all the time but I would be willing to take a shift or two and I am sure some of the others would as well. We wouldn't have to keep it open all the time but if we could just let people know someone would be in chat at 10AM Central and 10PM Central (or something like that) I really believe it would be helpful to people.

I also know that we all have good days and bad so if we could two or three people to agree to cover each shift (whatever time the group agreed upon) then if one couldn't make it there would still be people there if someone had a need to talk.

Would anyone be interested in doing this? It would take several people willing to put in the time. One or two people couldn't do it all because as we all know we never know what we are going to feel like until we wake up! Soooooo... what do ya'll think? Anybody want to start manning the chat board once or twice a day to give people a place to come talk? Do ya'll think it would be helpful or is the forum enough?

"discuss amongst yourselves" (see how many of you are old enough to remember where that came from "
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Ellie Hansen (03-12-2012)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I think you have a pretty good idea actually. I can't volunteer for a shift myself, but what I can do to help is post a schedule as a "sticky" in a couple of the most frequented forums where they would be easy to see for newbies, and we could all mention when we welcome a new member that there is someone here to talk to live and in real-time and that the times are posted in these schedules. I'll run this by Saysusie to be sure it's OK to do this. Upon approval, if you, and others can come up with a schedule, I'll post it as a sticky and I'll keep it updated for you as needed.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 10-28-2010 at 06:58 AM.

Thanks

Thanks Rob!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I really could not do this either and i still do not know how to talk on it and i still have trouble navigating on face book because i do not understand it. Good luck Tgal. Bonita

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm not on here enough to host...I used to be though but I am trying to get a little more active to keep lifting my depression. It still would be a good idea to have scheduled chat nights though.
    "With gentle hands and the heart of a fighter, I am a survivor!" - Reba McEntire

Blog Entries
    Thanks

This is a great idea. I will help when I can.
    A good friend will help you move, a GREAT friend will help you move a body . . . Let me know if I need to bring a shovel!!!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hello All;
    Rob brought this thread to my attention and I think that it is a great idea. I agree that the chat feature is not being used to its potential and I've noticed many who stop in and never get replies. I think that we addressed a similar issue sometime last year, but alas, I am sorry to say that I did not follow through with it. For that, I do apologize. Thank you Tgal for bringing the issue back up to the forefront again
    I think that Rob's idea on how to get it started is an excellent one. In that way, we can see how many are interested and how many can devote a scheduled time. Unfortunately, at the present moment, I cannot devote to a specific time each week, but I can devote to specific times that may vary each week/day (as the case may be).
    So, let's actually do it this time
    Go For It Rob

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Tgal,

We are good to go. Right now it's late and I'm a bit bleary-eyed, so it's time to sign off for the evening. Tomorrow, I'll send you a PM and we can talk over some ideas as to how this can work. Have a good night.

Rob

Thanks

Sounds wonderful! Rob, just send me a note and we can discuss it further
    Mari

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I know that I am kind of new, but I would be willing to help. I have little experience with the computer, but a lot with SLE. I think it is a great idea, and just what I was looking for when I joined WHL. As with all of us I never know when I will have a bad day, but if everyone had a back up I think it would work great.