Thread: work??

Thanks

Default work??

Hi there everyone. I am a newly diagnosed SLE. I havent felt well for a couple of years so it is a bit of relief knowing i am not going crazy. I have been on medical leave from my job for the last month and just wondering where that will take me. i am concerned about making a decision about work or not to work. any thoughts or experiences on that? tali

Thanks

H tali. I actually made a similar post a month or two ago. It's a really hard decision to make. Some of your options depend on the demands of your job and how much flexibility you have, as well as your financial situation. I struggled for the last year or so with what to do. I am fortunate to only work 3 days a week as it is, but the afternoons started getting really hard for me. One one hand, I think my job is good for me when I can physically tollerate it becaue it keeps me around other people and I am not focusing on my illness all the time. On the other hand, when I am in a flare, it is absolute torture to be at work.

I finally realized that I didn't want to completely quit work, so I approached my boss about cutting my hours and working shorter days. My boss was accomidating because she doesn't want to lose me. I feel really good about this decision right now. I know the day might come when I have to completely quit, but this is a good compromise for me for now.

You can use FMLA to reduce your work hours if your boss isn't cooperative. The other thing you might want to look at is how you have felt being off this past month. If it really helped you and you didn't feel depressed and isolated and feel like you have some positive things that might occupy your time, quitting might be a good option for you. If you decide to go back, you might request easing back into it, by asking to start back at part time. I guess no one can really tell you what is right since each person's situation is unique. This is just what has worked for me. I'm not sure if this helped at all. Let us know what you are thinking and what you decide. When do you go back to work?

Take care

Thanks

Default re work??

Thanks for the experience and suggestions you offered. It so helpful just to talk to someone that understands. I return to the dr on the 25 of october to discuss things and how i am feeling. she had booked me off work till the 29 of october originally. so i am not sure what she is going to say.
    My work is stressful and busy. I am on the road sometimes working 12 hour days. What i worry about is my ability to think clearly and to remember things. I presently work with clients on memory skills, activities of daily living and grief work. My mom recently passed away and honestly the stress of lupus makes my brain work less well. I used to be able to jugle things and remember all the detail of work and home. now i cant even trust myself to light a candle, or to remember important appointments. even with notes i forget things. i get muddled going to the grocery store.
    any way thanks for listening, and take care. tali

Thanks

Hi there

I know exactly how you feel I had to come to that very difficult choice myself and it took me a year to make the choice so don't feel bad for not knowing what to do. I just handed in my resignation this past monday and it's been a difficult week I really love my job and everyone around me there and it hurt to have to leave. But the new stuff the doc's putting me on is really rough and I know I couldn't work. I've been struggling with the choice for a while and it's not an easy one to make.

I would consider at least cutting your hours, and see how that goes and if you still feel awful then I would talk to your doc about quitting or disability.

Hope you feel better and good luck with everything
    Lots of hugs!!!!!! Stefanie

Thanks

Default re work??

Hi Stefanie, I am so sorry to hear about you having to leave work. It was a tough decision for you when you love your work and the people you work with. That must have been so hard. I hope you can find some kind of peace about having made a decison and knowing you gave it your best. Now you can work on you and being as well as you can.
    take care.
    thanks for the reply. I did talk to my doc today and i am going to go back half time for a bit and see how that goes. I have to try and do that, because i love my work too.
    tali

Thanks

I was in your shoes, and although now I can't work with the baby I made the choice to stop work and file for disability which was the best choice I have ever made. For me I just couldn't be a wife and have my career too I was always so tired after coming home from work every week. But now with the baby i know I wouldn't be able to work and take care of a family.

I think that best advice is to sit and think it through and decide if it's worth it for you and if you need the rest and would feel better staying home.

Good luck to you !
    Tina,

Thanks

Default work??

Hi, Thanks for your reply, its so helpful to hear others experience. I am trying the half time work and today was my first day back. But honestly by 11:00 I started to feel foggy and shakey, dizzy etc. I told the doc I was going to try this for 2 or 3 weeks. but if i decide not to work i am not sure if the doc will support that or what she will say. if she doesnt then i feel like its in my head but i know it isnt. have you had any difficulties with your doc or collecting disability?
    tali