Thread: Plaquenil rash...

Thanks

Default Plaquenil rash...

I have been on this for almost a month and thought everything was going well until todayI noticed a rash mostly on my stomach and side. I called the doc but they didnt get back with me so I guess I will skip tonights dose. I do remember them saying something about some people being allergic to the generic. Has anyone experienced this? Iam just worried I will not be able to take this med and I feel so discouraged

Thanks

Hi there
    Yes i have heard that about the generic version too (something about the med's fillers??). In fact going off my reading-memory, in DJ Wallace's 'The Lupus Book' he gets people to try the branded Plaquenil before discontinueing treatment. But i would have thought you might have reacted before 1 months time? not sure, hopefully others with experience can answer that. Best wishes, shantelle
    Shantelle
    Lupus & Rosacea. Cutaneous symptoms, photosensitivity, ANA 1:640+. Currently using: Since end April '10 50mg Doxycycline / Since 17 July '10 1x Plaquenil 200mg day.

Thanks

Hi
    I take Plaqunil and have taken the generic as well as brand name. I still get rashes on occasion. I keep steroid cream on hand to put on the rashes and usually they just go away. I always thought it was just part of Lupus. I have not noticed any increase or decrease on the generic or name brand. I know this does not help but sometimes just knowing someone else has the same thing helps. I hope you get some help with the rashesi and they go away soon. Billie

Thanks

Thanks for replying. I actually stopped talking the med and see if it clears up, then Iam going to try and start it back slowly and see if it comes back if it does its for sure the med. The pharmacist I talked to said she thought it sounded like a rash from the med with most of it being on my stomach and arms. I have never had anything like it before its not really bumps its an under the skin rash and doesnt itch really bad or anything. I just dont know what to do I hope its gone by next weekend Iam in a wedding. I guess maybe it could be a lupus thing I just dont understand why I would finally have that after being on the med for alittle bit

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi Shanna,

I never got a rash from the plaquinil the plaquinil actually stopped my rashes after 3 or 4 months. While I won't say it isn't from the med I would check with the doctor because it may just be a new Lupus symptom.

Good luck to you!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

That's wierd because I have an under the skin rash on my forehead. It's not like pimples b/c it doesn't ever get above skin or feel like a blemish would. They weren't very apparent to me because honestly I don't look in the mirror a lot unless I'm putting on makeup and I saw these on a picture of my face. So I took a look at them and they are just like you said. Not itchy, just under the skin bumps. Hmm.... I've been on Plaquenil for awhile now. About a month and a half I guess.