Thread: How much folic acid with MTX??

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default How much folic acid with MTX??

Hello, I was wondering how many mg's of folic acid people are taking with MTX. I take 5 pills once a week and was told to take 1mg/day, but I've heard you're supposed to be taking more than that. When I do take a little more folic acid I am not as nauseated and the nosebleeds aren't there either. So, I was wondering if what I was told is the norm or if it's more than 1mg per day.

Thanks

I am not taking MTX, but tend to have low WBC so my rheumy has me on 4 mg of folic acid daily to keep my levels in check. Without it I was getting awful canker sores in my mouth.

Last month I was started on Imuran and the rheumy stressed the importance of keeping the WBC levels up since Imuran is an immunosuppressant. Since I tend to run low on WBCs anyway, she's keeping a close eye on my blood levels.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply, that's quite a bit of folic acid a day. But you have to keep your blood levels normal and I'm sure it makes you feel better too. I've upped mine and haven't been as nauseous. Anyone out there on MTX and know what I'm talking about??

Thanks

i take 5mg of folic acid 1 day before i take my mexotrexate but i find i have more side affects from folic acid than the mexotrexate and i only take 1 dose a week of folic acid it gives me nausea and stomach problems. everyone is different kim l

Thanks

I know exactly what you mean! I take an injection of MTX once a week. My good rheumy in Texas gave me a prescription for 1 mg per day. My new one here in Ca doesn't seem to care that much, and just said to buy it OTC. I found one that is 800mcg, so I take one of those per day. My multi also provides it, so I'm probably getting at least 1 mg.
    I've also noticed that I crave salads more than I ever have before. I've noticed that if I pig out on salads for a couple of days before the injection, I have a lot less nausea the day after.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

i take 5 folic acid tablets each day. I think that is 25 mg (but not so sure this evening - brain is not working). My mouth and nose sores are all but gone, and i don't notice any side effects. My rheumy put me on that dosage when i started mtx a couple of years ago.

Since starting mtx, i can not drink water. the thought of water makes me gag, and i also don't eat foods with a lot of seasoning....has definitely affected my food choices.

Before i take my mtx shot, i always eat some bland food such as pasta with chicken, or just rice....helps with the recovery the next day.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

I don't take MTX, but my doctor gave me a prescription for Folgard (sometimes called Fabb) that I take daily because I was bruising so easily. It's about 2 mg of Folic Acid combined with a few other B vitamins and I was able to leave the house without having to check my arms. Couldn't just cover up with long sleeves every day living in Florida.

Thanks

I take 5mg's per day. I ws tld it is to help with the stomach probs with the mtx. I shoot 25mg of mtx each monday. I also take 5mg of Leucovor CA the morning after mtx. It is also supose to hep with efects of mtx.

Bill
    Money cannot buy you happiness but it can buy you a big enough boat to allow you to pull up along side it!!! - David Lee Roth