Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: migraines

Thanks

Default migraines

I have been having more migraines the last five months than I have had in a long time. I began taking topamax about six years ago and since then the migraines virtually went away until five months ago. My lupus symptoms also became worse about that same time. Many of these migraines come on after I have been in the sun, I do not get photosensitivity rashes however. I assume these migraines are related to my illness. I know I need to make sure I have sunscreen on and stay in the shade as much as possible. Does anyone else get migraines? I am really tired of losing entire days to them.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Welcome to my Life.
    I've had this problem since I was 18. I had a mild sunstroke or so it was thought at the time. But it is all Lupus related; you don't have to get the complete molar rash to be photo sensative. I get a red butterfly on my face and that's it. I get migraines from the bright light and even wear sunglasses on cloudy days. If I could find a pair dark enough I'd be really happy.

So you are not alone in this. Migraines are not fun, but survivable.
    Meds, a dark room and soft music has worked for 40 years for me.

Hugs
    Nonna

Thanks

Hi Alisono,
    I think Childbirth is more tolerable than migraines!! The worst of the migraines I ever had sent me to the ER after 3 days of HORRIBLE pain and blurred vision. The episode lasted a full week!!! Not fun! Luckily I have not had one in about 6 months. I also suffer from seizures as well. Lupus is a phantom that will rob you blind and knock you on your butt!! Some of the more popular meds for migraines have side effects that are nasty, not to mention the toll they take on the kidneys. Valerian root is what I will try the next time I have a migraine. It is supossed to help with the seizures as well. I am in the midst of saving my money to see a dr in Mexico that is a referral from my husbands uncle. I wish you well in our world. Take care and God bless you.

Thanks

Hi there
    I don't know if this info might be helpful for you, but i'd been battling migraine headaches for years and only now (being monitored for DILE or onset SLE offically since Sept) i'm realising it was my possible first Lupus symptom. What I've found helps is ensuring I eat regulary every 3-4 hours. If I go for long periods of time without eating something e.g. 4+ hrs, my blood sugar gets low spurring migraine headaches. When I get these migraines the base of my skull at back of my head is throbbing and extremely painful, and my eyes are very, very sensitive to any light. I'd be in tears when they happened. I have no idea why low blood sugar spurs these migraines but just thought i'd share this incase anyone else finds this helpful. I'm glad to have found what my trigger was!
    Best, Shantelle
    Shantelle
    Lupus & Rosacea. Cutaneous symptoms, photosensitivity, ANA 1:640+. Currently using: Since end April '10 50mg Doxycycline / Since 17 July '10 1x Plaquenil 200mg day.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Migraines are, absolutely, related to the disease. They are actually called "Lupus Headaches" and they often occur when the disease is active. These headaches, for all intents and purposes, are just as painful and debilitating as migraines. However, they do not often respond to migraine medication. When the underlying disease (Lupus) begins to be controlled by medication, then the Lupus Headaches often lessen too.

I have chronic migraines/Lupus Headaches and, since I've been in a flare-up for over a month now, the migraines have been almost a daily event. I hope that you get some relief soon. Here are a couple of websites with a bit more information:

www.relieve-migraine-headache.com/lupus-headache
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4472166_trea...-headache.html

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Thanksfor your help again and for the links. Will you mind copying the first link again, I cannot access it.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

http://www.relieve-migraine-headache...-headache.html

I hope this one works

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Thank you for your links, they are very informative. I heard of Lupus headaches, but now I understand it a bit more.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Im sorry to hear you suffer with the dreaded migraine.Over tha last few months ive had some bad ones and am on meds for them,migraleve i think theyre called.They do help,but a dark room n comfy bed is helpful.Hope today they are leaving you alone.

thinking of you
    love Amanda.xxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allisono View Post
    I have been having more migraines the last five months than I have had in a long time. I began taking topamax about six years ago and since then the migraines virtually went away until five months ago. My lupus symptoms also became worse about that same time. Many of these migraines come on after I have been in the sun, I do not get photosensitivity rashes however. I assume these migraines are related to my illness. I know I need to make sure I have sunscreen on and stay in the shade as much as possible. Does anyone else get migraines? I am really tired of losing entire days to them.
    Oh yeh I get horrible migraines; also the other problem with me is I have DDD in my neck which Lupus makes worse; so if I lay on my back I start getting a migraine in or on the two large bumps right above my hair line on the back of my head in then the headache moves up to the middle of my head up to the top of my head. and it gets really bad so much so that I would be okay if my head would no longer be on my shoulders because it just get horribly bad and I can either wake up with a headache or go to bed with one sleep the day away and still never get rid of it. There are times that I wake up with one I wish I would not wake up so yeh I get them and get them bad!