Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lupus Mentions in the Media and on Primetime

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thumbs up Lupus Mentions in the Media and on Primetime

There's been a lot more attention to Lupus in the Media and on Primetime so I am starting this thread so we can share what we hear in one spot. Tonight's premier episode of Private Practice had a patient with Lupus. It really hasn't explained the disease but it did bring a little attention to the link between this disease and fertility issues.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have not heard anything on tv about lupus but i will be looking for it. I hope with some public knowledge they will get some answers we are waiting for. Thank you SandyR. Bonita

Thanks

It is about time, that lupus gets some media attention.
    I have told a couple of coworkers that I have lupus, neither one of them have ever heard of it and didn't know what it was.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

There is a really well done commercial that runs on CNN it seems like about once an hour in the evenings. It has a lady explaining a bunch of typical symptoms, and then she says "If you have these symptoms, you might have Lupus" or something along that line. It really got my attention the first time I heard it, because I thought damn, this would be a good Lupus commercial, then they talk about Lupus. It was a pleasant surprise.

Thanks

we really have nothing in australia there is only 1 support group in sydney and it is to far away for me you here nothing on any talk shows or medical shows when i mention i have lupus people have no idea what it is andhow it affects me they just think is is something i will get over it i believe they should make lupus testing normal routine for all bloodscreenings when i mentioned this to gp she said they do not do this because you have to meet so many criterias to be tested and alot of time they cannot prove it and think you are just overeacting i even met a nurse in emergency that told me she had lupus and they didnot believe and locked her up in mental hospital for a month before she got diagnoses there definetly needs to be more attention and understanding payed to this disease otherwise to many people fall through the cracks and go on suffering needlessly it is wonderful to have all of you but i would just like to be able to sit down and speak to people in my own area who understand how i feel and we could give each other and there families support. it gets lonely my family tries to understand but they just do not understand what this disease does. love talking to you all hugs kim l

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I bet there's a lot more Lupies in Australia than are reported if the medical community is so dead against it. Maybe you and Linda and Monique can start and Aussie support group.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

Yeah right Sandy - starting an Aussie support group - from opposite ends of the country? Ha ha ha

But Kim is right, I have never heard of Lupus before I was told I had it. Never saw anything on the TV, never read about it in the magazines, never even heard of anyone with it. Even my GP said she doesn't know very much about it. When I told my family and friends about having Lupus they said, "What's Lupus".

Perhaps there is a greater majority pf people with Skin Cancer, Diabetes and Heart disease in Australia that Lupus is only a less common disease. Who knows, even now that I know more about Lupus, I still have not heard anything about it.
    Last edited by Linda From Australia; 09-28-2010 at 06:47 AM.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Linda From Australia View Post
    Yeah right - from opposite ends of the country? Ha ha ha
    So start with a phone conversation and then maybe you will be able to figure out how to meet up eventually.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Dr. House mentioned Lupus and some of it's symptoms last night. (Turned out to be a tumor)

Thanks

House mentioned it then the program Lie To Me that came on right after House also mentioned Lupus.. I thougth Wow, that's great to hear it twice the same night!