Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How often do you... sorry if this is TMI

Thanks

Maybe your doc can do you something like a Bentyl (spelling??) that slows down your intestines. I just have to be careful with it, since I'll swing the other way much too easily (pain meds are *bad* for that)...

Blog Entries
    Thanks

ok weird but i have been too. i had my gallbladder out last year in february and i thought it was just due to that. i have recently started taking a baby aspirin a day due to the lupus anticoagulant antibody and my symptoms have resolved. i don't know if it was a coincidence or not but i am so relieved.....and try being in the middle of a CPR on a really bad accident scene and having to hold it while you're sweating bullets trying not to fill up your pants! how embarrassing!!!!!
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for someone I'm not.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

One of my docs calls it irratible bowel syndrome. Every morning about 8:30 I just sit the and get cleaned out.

I know TMI but it's great to know you're not alone in this

nonna

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I got on Bentyl and it worked for awhile but I would go straight through it. Now I take Lomotil (sp?) and it really works, but you cannot miss a dose. Right now I'm learning that b/c I forgot to take it this morning. YUCK.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Have any of your doctors mentioned Irritable bowel Syndrome to you ladies? Do any of you have Fibromyalgia?? IBS is a symptom of FM and has gone undiagnosed for many of us for many, many years.
    The symptoms can be diarrhea, constipation or a combination of both. Also, the symptoms can include abdominal pain and spasms.
    It might be beneficial for you to ask your doctors about this possibility so that you can be treated for it, rather than having to drink the horrid liquids or take the nauseating pills.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks Susie, didn't know how to spell it. Brain fog always that's over in these cases. I did not know it was also related to fibromy.......

Hugs nonna

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi Susie,

I have Fibro but no one has ever been concerned about my bowel issues. Those have been going on for years. When I finally get to go back to the doctor I will ask about that. Thanks!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I find it incredulous that doctors will diagnose a condition but not give you all of the information about that condition. Grrrrrrr. At any rate, here is some information concerning FM and IBS so that you will be well informed when you speak to your doctors;

"Anywhere between 30% and 70% of fibromyalgia sufferers will have to battle with this IBS. In fact, more and more research indicates that the causes of fibromyalgia and IBS are similar, and perhaps even identical. IBS is a condition that affects the large intestine, commonly called the bowel. It is characterized by an extreme sensitivity to muscle contractions in the large intestine, which can cause symptoms including diarrhea and constipation. Like fibromyalgia, IBS is classified as a functional disorder because there is no clear structural or chemical cause for the condition. People with both fibromyalgia and IBS tend to suffer from more severe symptoms than those with only one of the syndromes. If you have IBS and fibromyalgia symptoms, it is important that you find a treatment that can address both syndromes.

Like fibromyalgia, IBS tends to occur after a particularly traumatic or stressful life event. IBS may begin after an illness, a move, or beginning a new job. Much like fibromyalgia, stress is one of the larger causes or irritable bowel syndrome symptoms. Stress exacerbates contractions, diarrhea, constipation, and flatulence. Other triggers include specific foods, especially chocolate, milk products, and alcohol, certain smells, and certain medications.

Allso, like FM, IBS syndrome may be caused by a problem with neurotransmitters in the brain. Similar to fibromyalgia, IBS is often thought of as an illness caused by psychological reasons, such as stress. However, new studies show that psychological factors may not be the only ones at play in causing the illness or FM.

For people suffering from both fibromyalgia and IBS, it is important to understand how the two illnesses can impact upon each other. As many as 70% of fibromyalgia sufferers have IBS; similarly, 1 in 5 IBS sufferers have fibromyalgia. Dealing with both illnesses at the same time can be very difficult because the symptoms tend to be much more severe.
    Recent studies have shown that people who have both IBS and fibromyalgia suffer from symptoms that are 38% more severe than those who only have one illness. IBS tends to exacerbate fibromyalgia pain and fatigue, while fibromyalgia tends to increase the severity and frequency of IBS symptoms. Studies also show that people with both illnesses tend to have a worse quality of life than those with only one.This is because of the restrictions that these diseases can put on your lifestyld.

In the recent past two IBS-specific medications for women have been put on the market. Alosetron hydrochloride, sold under the brand name Lotronex, offers relief from diarrheal IBS. It works on the neurons in the digestive tract to slow waste production. Tegaserod maleate, sold under the brand name Zelnom, is used to treat severe constipation. It works by increasing stool movement through the bowels."

It might be advisable for you to speak with your doctors soon about the possiblity of having IBS, especially if you suffer from FM. I wish you all the best of luck.

If you have IBS, you will probably experience all three of these symptoms (I know that I do):

• abdominal pain relieved by bowel movements
    • change in the frequency of bowel movements
    • change in the look of bowel movements

IBS is a chronic illness, like FM and Lupus. IBS tends to get worse over time and it is exacerbated by certain foods or medicines (as mentioned above). If you suffer from IBS, you should also keep a record of the foods that you have been eating as well as your symptoms. If you have IBS, you may suffer from some or all of the following symptoms:

• moderate to severe abdominal cramping
    • bloating after eating
    • flatulence
    • nausea
    • lack of appetite
    • very loose or watery stools
    • very hard, pebble-like stools
    • stools covered in stringy mucous
    • more than 3 bowel movements every day
    • extreme urgency or fecal incontinence

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Sayusie
    Last edited by Saysusie; 11-29-2010 at 06:34 PM.
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

Han (12-01-2010)

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Susie,

OK, this is one of those stupid posts that made me cry! The very first symptom I showed was 3 years ago when my bowels changed. I constantly had watery stools 5 or 6 times a day. It is so bad that I can't eat in the car because I eat and within 10 min I have to be in a bathroom. It comes on so quickly that I have missed making it to the restroom on several occasions. I have spoken to EVERY doctor about this and not 1 of them has shown any concern over it at all. Reading the symptoms of IBS above I have EVERY ONE except lack of appetite and hard stools. I even told one of the doctors that I was losing control of my bowels and he just nodded now I see that there is a reason for it and I can't decide if I am relived or ticked off!

Thank you so very much for this! When the disability determination finally comes and I have insurance again this will be one of the first issues I take up! You are a doll!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yep I have these problems, but I was diagnosed with IBS when I was in college. I've just learned to live with it the last 12 years. It's only recently that IBS is even discussed with all my doctors. Before it was like "oh I see you have that stress thing. you need to be less stressed". Yeah, ok. Who doesn't? I've had 3 colonoscopies. Like red said, they no longer make you drink that horrid stuff. Especially if you are already all liquid. The first time I went I had to drink that and nearly threw it right up. The second time they gave me a pill which worked like a charm and the third time I was all liquid already so they kept me of a 72hr clear liquids diet and then did their thing. Like you, there is no physical reason for my IBS found. The last test, done in 2009, shows that I now have gastritis too, but the doctors don't seem concerned about that or seem to think there is a link between that and my other problems. I don't understand how they don't see the link, but then again I didn't spend 7 years in medical school, I only know what I know about my own body.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.