Thread: chipmunk cheeks?

Thanks

Default chipmunk cheeks?

hey all

Just wanted toknow if anyone gets this too. On a few occasions i've fallen asleep for like 10-15 minutes and then the sun moved and was basically all over me and particularly my face. After that my cheeks SWELL...i look like alvin the chipmunks' sister(with both alvin and my nuts stuffed in my cheeks)....does anyone else experience this?? is it lupus or the meds acting out from the sun? because i have moonface from the pred but I know this chipmunk part comes from the sun at that given time.it does go down after some time(unlike moonface, ;-()

Thanks

oh and my face is red and flushed as well...blotchy particularly the cheek and nose region

Blog Entries
    Thanks

My face rarely gets this way because I use sunscreen in my makeup, but my arms get that way within five minutes of sun exposure or sooner. You're right it does go down, but it looks like swelling or a really bad sunburn. I have been trying really hard to remember to at least wear an SPF 30 so my arms don't get so bad. I know prednisone of course makes you burn and your skin will swell. I had that problem big time when I was on it, but Methotrexate is the same way. Since I've been on it I have to put on sunscreen or I get a million ," OMG are you sunburned?!" questions and it hurts too.

Thanks

Hi socialmissy,
    I get this everytime I am in the sun for any length of time... Which makes summer so much fun! I am really glad it's fall here in Michigan, we get a lot more cloudy days now. I try to use at least 55 spf at all times... 100spf if I know I will be in the sun for any length of time. But really what helps the most, is just staying out of sun altogether. Ugh. Hard to do with a 9yrold, 7yrold and 2 yrold.... My arm looks like I have the plague.. My husband call it "biblical" :P
    Hope you feel better soon,
    God Bless,
    Deb
    "You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body." C.S. Lewis

Thanks

Sounds like you are having a reaction to the sun... many of us do have problems with the Sun.... I have to wear sunscreen even on days when I am not going to be outside... even the flourescent lights give me a red flushed feeling. Get some good sunscreen and lather up!
    Tell your doctor when you go about the reaction. Billie

Thanks

Hi Missy, it does sound very much like some kind of reaction to the sun.
    I also have very chipmunk alike cheeks, but this is due to the Pred and inflammated jaws.
    Looks hilarious, but oh well what can we do lol.=)
    Make sure to tell your doctor, hope you're ok.
    A butterfly is not afraid to spread it's wings.