Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lumbar Puncture Friday

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Default Lumbar Puncture Friday

OK everyone. I got the call from the newest neuro this morning and my LP is set for Friday morning. Of course I have read up on the LP and how it is done but I would really like to hear from some people that have gone through it. Does everyone have the horrible headache? How long does it take for you to feel normal? What did you experience?

Please don't try to spare me the details if they are bad I do best if I know the good and the bad and can plan/prepare for anything.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

For me, the LP was not the big deal that I thought it would be. The actual procedure is uncomfortable, but not terribly painful. I layed still for around two hours I think after the procedure, and I did get a headache, but it wasn't the horrible headache from hell that I thought it would be. I had a lingering mild headache and soreness at the puncture site for about a day, then I was fine. Overall, the whole experience wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have never had a lp but have had many epidural injections for the last 7 years for my back. They do smart but it helps. Good luck qwith your procedure and i hope you feel better afterwards. Bonita

Thanks

I had one in June, and I agree with Rob that it wasn't as bad as I expected.
    The neuro had told me that I could drive home afterward! I made him wait 'til a day when Jeff could be with me.

The doc had me to sit on the side of the bed and lean over a tray. Jeff sat in front of me, held my hands and kissed me, which helped a lot!
    I felt a little shaky near the end of the procedure and spent the time waiting for the lab to come take blood lying flat on my back.
    Jeff brought me home and I stayed flat on the couch with the cats, watching TV for most of the afternoon.

I felt sore all day, but I didn't get even a hint of a headache! The worst thing was putting up with Jeff's cooking that evening.
    So, I think that the key is to stay flat on your back for a long time, even if the doc doesn't think it is that important.

I hope that it gives you some good information. Mine was all negative, so the neuro told me that I shouldn't be having any neurological symptoms - Hah!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Goodluck Tgal for your LP on Friday.Glad everyone helped you out as ive never had one.Thinking of you.xxxxxxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

Thanks everyone! My neuro said that I had to bring someone with me to drive and be prepared to be there for 4 to 5 hours. I guess that is the "laying down time" he wants to get. The hospital is about an hour away (if no traffic) so I guess they want to make me lay there before the drive home. I will admit that I am more nervous about this one then any test that I have had. I will keep positive though and "not borrow trouble" as my mom use to say.

Thanks again!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Hey Everyone,

OK, LP was today and although it wasn't as bad as I expected I don't want to do it again. I was prepared to have a headache tonight but what I wasn't prepared for was the horrible pain in my lower neck and at the top of my spine. That started about an hour ago when I went to get up off the couch. That sucker hurts so bad it took my breath away. Soooooo I am back to laying down and I am drinking fluids. Hopefully it will go away soon.

Gotta love all these tests!
    Mari

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Sorry your back is hurting! That stinks. Gentle ((hugs))!
    Lauren

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hugs and good thoughts from me also. The residual pain from tests sucks but we do endure

hugs, nonna

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Tgal;
    Today is Saturday and I was just wondering how you were feeling today? Has the pain in your neck and spine subsided? Let us know how you are doing.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!