Thread: Hi my name is Kristi

Thanks

Red face Hi my name is Kristi

Good Morning all,
    My name is Kristi - I have just recently been diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder, unfortunately my Rhuemy appt isn't until Sept. I already have scoliosis, fibro, fibrocystic breast disease, gallbladder removed, 6 miscarrages, 1 stillbirth, uterine fibroids - hysterectomy 03, IBS, chronic pain, fatigue, sciatic nerve pain, showin signs of perif nuerapathy and cranial, dry eyes/mouth and a family history of 8 sjogren's 3 with SLE also.
    I am greatful to find this forum and was interested in finding out if any of you now what Coilin is, I wrote to the Lupus Foundation and they could not help and my GP did not know what it was either. As you can see from the first titre he suspects SLE but I am feeling really lost on the other one.

ANA positive ANA titer >1:640 ANA pattern homogeneous
    ANA titer 2 1:320 ANA pattern 2 coilin antibodies

Glad to meet all of you and looking forward to getting to know you
    Kristi

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Let me welcome you to our family here. This place is filled with the kindest, most understanding, and supportive people on the web. I am so sorry to hear that you've been having so many difficulties for such a long period of time. We want you to know that we are here for you and that you are never alone!!

With reference to Coilin Antibody:
    From what I can determine, Coilin antibody is used as an assay dilution, often when determining ANA titer. So, it is a process used by some labs to dilute antibodies to determine the titer.

I found this definition in the medical dictionary:
    Coilin is a protein that in humans is encoded by the COIL gene. Coilin protein is one of the main molecular components of Cajal bodies (CBs). Cajal bodies are nuclear suborganelles of varying number and composition that are involved in the post-transcriptional modification (a process in cell biology which, in primary transcript RNA is converted into mature RNA) of small nuclear and small nucleolar RNAs. In addition to its structural role, coilin acts as glue to connect the CB to the nucleous. The N-terminus of the coilin protein directs its self-oligomerization while the C-terminus influences the number of nuclear bodies assembled per cell. Differential methylation and phosphorylationof coilin likely influences its localization among nuclear bodies and the composition and assembly of Cajal bodies. This gene has pseudogenes on chromosome 4 and chromosome 14.[2]
    To study CBs, coilin can be combined with GFP (Green Fluorescent Protein) to form Colin-GFP hybrid protein. The hybrid protein can then be used to locate CBs underneath a microscope, usually near the nucleolus of the cell. Other proteins that make up the CB include snRNPs and nucleolar snoRNPs.
    Coilin got its name from the coiled shaped of the CB in which it is found. It was first identified using human autoimmune serum.

I hope that this has been somewhat helpful to you. Please let us know if you need anything further. Again, welcome to our family!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie

Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hi,
    Thank you for your input a few months ago I am still in limbo on what is wrong so far on the 2nd the rhuemy said I have fibro, IBS, Fatique and is sending me for a sleep apnea study. As for the Ai he is doing additional testing for Lupus - anti coagulant and redoing the ANA because he does not recognize the coilin and wants to see if it shows up again through his lab. As for other tests so far these are abnormal : creatine 0.5 rng: 0.6-1.2, ALK phos 122 rng: 35-104, AST 41 rng: 0-32, ALT 70 rng: 0-33, c4 40.7 rng:10-40.0, the dr is looking at my liver and says the edema is perhapse liver or veneus stratis because of the brown spots I am getting on my legs.
    Take care and thank you

Blog Entries
    Thanks

You are most welcome. I am glad that the doctors are still testing you in order to find out what exactly is going on. Be patient, the diagnostic process can take a long time and can be very frustrating.
    If you have any questions about your tests, please feel free to ask us and we will do all that we can to help you.

Take Care!
    Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie

Thanks

I am glad you are on here we are from Marysville, Ca stuck here in MO for a time. The newest strange results are ANA positive the nurse will not tell me the numbers but she did say one pattern is now speckled and the other mixed. My anti-coag is neg, sm/rnp is neg and the vit D is normal. Difficult changing health org in the middle of all of this so a different lab ran the tests. She said the dr sent me a personal letter that she could not find in the file and I see him again on the 21st.
    Thank you
    Kristi

PS I know the levels can go up and down but can the pattern change too.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

You are welcome
    Yes, the patterns can also change depending upon the activity of your disease. Everything about this disease is frustrating and ever changing, that's part of what makes it such a difficult disease to diagnose and to treat and part of why no cure has been found.
    Please let us know what the doctor's personal letter said, if it is ever found!!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie

Thanks

Welcome Kristi!
    I hope you'll get the help and answers you need, very soon.
    Make sure to keep us updated!
    *Hugs*
    A butterfly is not afraid to spread it's wings.

Thanks

Hi Kristi,
    Welcome to WHL. I'm originally from near St. Louis, Mo. There are great teaching hospitals associated with both St. Louis University and Washington U. If I still lived there, that is where I would go.
    Funny, I'm living in Ca for a while, but I definitely don't feel stuck. I'm loving the west coast!
    You can learn lots from reading the threads on this site and joining in on the conversations.
    Come join us, and keep us updated on what you find out.
    Hugs,
    Marla