Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should I do?

Thanks

Default What should I do?

I am in one of the worse flares I have ever had. It started two days ago, with lots of joint and muscle pain.
    Last night I spend most of my time in the bathroom, with very bad diarrhea, abdominal cramps and nausea. Between the endless visits to the bathroom and the joint and muscle pain, I did not get much sleep.
    Now I am sitting here, in pain, dizzyness, excrutiating neckpain, shoulder pain and pain in every muscle, not to forget the headache I have.
    Here is my problem, I have to work from 2pm-10pm today. I have been with this company for 5 years now and have NEVER called in sick. At the moment we are short handed and I feel that I can't call in, because of that.
    But I know, I can't work like this.
    Should I go in and try it?
    It is a very physical, fast pace job.
    I don't want to put extra stuff on my coworkers. There is nobody they can call in to cover my shift.

Ugh Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

debbie i am sorry you are feeling so bad, but i just want to say what a wonderful strong person you are not to have had any sick days in 5 years and how you are thinking of your co workers when you are so unwell i think you are a very kind and generous person . but i think sometimes you just have to put yourself first you are important to and your health matters you need to get yourself well otherwise you will be no good to anyone. please rest and take care of yourself i will be thinking of you hugs kim l

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kim,l View Post
    debbie i am sorry you are feeling so bad, but i just want to say what a wonderful strong person you are not to have had any sick days in 5 years and how you are thinking of your co workers when you are so unwell i think you are a very kind and generous person . but i think sometimes you just have to put yourself first you are important to and your health matters you need to get yourself well otherwise you will be no good to anyone. please rest and take care of yourself i will be thinking of you hugs kim l
    Thank you Kim,

My head says, "take care of yourself", but my heart says," don't let them down".
    Btw, my husband said exactly what you said.
    I don't know.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Debbie,

You are sick. You have a legitimate reason to call in sick. If I were in your shoes, I would call in sick. If you were calling in sick just to get a day off to go shopping, or because you have a hangover or something like that, you would be letting people down, but you are in a bad Lupus flare, you are really sick. You are letting nobody down. Pushing yourself can easily prolong the flare causing you to miss more days at work. If you take care of yourself now, you can get better and out of this flare sooner. And the fact that you have a perfect attendance record, and you are considering not going to work, tells me you really are in a bad flare. Be good to yourself, and stay home.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 09-02-2010 at 06:07 AM.

Thanks

Hi Rob,

Thank you for your input. If I don't start feeling better, within the next couple of hours, I will stay home.
    On top of that, if I go to work, my husband will be very angry at me. All last night, he kept asking me if he could do something for me, help me somehow, so he was up most of the night with me.
    I have had some pretty bad flares before, but this one is knocking me down.
    So as of now, staying home is at 80 %, going to work is 20% ( well duh).

Debbie

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,211 Posts

Oh Debbie! You sound so much like I was. I went to work sick, I worried about my company and my co-workers. I was loyal. Then I ran myself down so far that I was not a benefit to them anymore and I was fired for not returning to work by the deadline (doctors orders). Through that experience I learned one thing. Take care of yourself first. I know you feel bad for them but you have to understand that it is a business. They will survive with or without you. You have to take care of yourself because no one else will. Do you job. Do it well but never sacrifice your own health or well being because you are replaceable at the job but not with those you love.

Best of luck to you
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Blog Entries
    Thanks

(((Debbie))) I have to agree w/what everyone has said, take care of yourself! From a managerial view, I would rather have done w/out someone for one day than for them to push themselves to come in and end up being out longer. After 5 yrs of no sick days, you deserve to take the day when you really need it! Besides, you don't want your hubby to be angry w/you cuz then that starts a whole other issue! lol Please stay home & rest.
    Lauren

Thanks

Debbie,
    I agree with everyone else and I hope that you stayed home to take care of yourself today. I always pushed myself when I was teaching and really felt that nobody else could do the job that I was doing. Well, I left that job (tearfully) and now the new Latin teacher is doing just fine. Our workplaces rally can keep going without us.
    Listen to your body, and take care of yourself.
    Gentle Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Debbie,

I am sorry to hear the flares hit you hard today and I hope you listened to your head and your body and are home resting.
    Sandy
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

Thank you guys,

Not just for telling me to stay home and rest, but also for understanding, that I have a great sense of responsibility and can't just call in, without feeling bad for my coworkers.
    Well, I did call in, but my boss was begging me to come in and try it.
    So, I went to see my rheumy ( no appointment), the receptionist said, I can't see him without appmt, but I turn my head and he he was. So I walked up to him and said,"please I need your help, give me a Steroid shot". He said " no problem follow me".
    Pants down, shot in, two seconds later I was on my way out.
    I felt like going like this to the receptionist .
    After that I went to work and of course, I regetted it. I should have listened to you, my husband and my body. The 8 hour shift felt like 20 hours.
    I feel a little better today, pain is the same, but no more stomach issues and my headache is almost gone.
    I have learned my lesson, next time I WILL NOT GO IN.

I love you guys.

Debbie