Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost my dental implant!

Thanks

Angry Lost my dental implant!

On Wednesday night, while brushing my teeth, my dental implant fell out - crown, metal screw and all! It had been hurting me for a few days.
    I've had that thing for exactly a year, and it was a LOT of trouble to have put in.
    According to what I've read, Sjogren's patients have problems with them because of the dry mouth issues. I've also had osteonecrosis, so my bones aren't exactly strong.
    I went to a dentist yesterday. It was the first time I'd met him, since we've moved 1700 miles since I got the implant. He said that he's never seen one come out whole like that, and was surprised that it happened after only a year. He thinks that the Sjogren's and/or AVN probably made my jawbone too weak for the implant to grow into it properly. I probably shouldn't have tried getting one in the first place.
    He also said that the x-rays showed that my bone is too thin and the roots of my teeth are too short to support a bridge. If I tried it, I could lose the two surrounding teeth. So, I'm just going to have to deal with having a missing molar. Luckily, I don't have an infection, and the gum is growing back already, so I'm doing fine.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Sorry for your pain and suffering. I only have one molar to work with and have a lot of caps but do not have to money since we are both on medicare to go to the dentist Bonita

Thanks

Oh Marla, so basically the dentist is telling you that you have to put up with missing teeth? That is such a shame. I wonder if you can get your money back from the dentist who put everything in there in the first place, because apparently you shouldn't have had them implanted in the first place. Gee, it would have neen nice to know that in the first place, before your money got flushed down the drain. Apparently people with medical problems have heaps of money to spend!
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Marla; I agree that u should check into getting your money back. I know how expensive they can be. I find it hard to believe that they expect you to live with a missing tooth, espcially with all that they can do nowadays. I'm glad that u r not in pain
    Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Yes, but it wasn't really too much out of my pocket at the time. While I was teaching, I had great dental insurance through the school district, and I also had a dental plan from my hubby's Military Reserves job. Both plans paid, so I didn't have to pay too much.
    Now, with the teaching job gone, and Jeff retired from the Reserves, we don't have a dental plan at all. He is still working for the DOD, so he's going to get us into their plan for next year. This just had to happen while we're between plans!
    Actually, my jaw feels much better without the implant there. I don't think that it ever fit right, and I'm wondering if it was the cause of the weekly headaches that I've been having. I guess time will tell!
    Hugs,
    Marla

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

U could b right. My best friend' mother had implants that never fit right and caused her to have excrutiating headaches. She finally had them removed and now just has dentures and is really happy with them. I hope your headaches do go away.
    Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

I am so sorry about the implant! I had wanted those and then I was told that with all my "issues" I was not the right fit (or they weren't... however you want to look at it LOL). Hope your headache goes away soon!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

Hey, magistramarla, be sure and get a 2nd (and 3rd) opinion! It might be that they can make you a "bridge" (I gorfet the proper term) that's built on something like an orthodontic retainer insert. In other words, it doesn't rely upon just the jaw bone and/or the neighboring two teeth, but rather the whole set of teeth. It's wierd when you first use one (and uncomfortable), but at least the "open" teeth you have behind the missing tooth won't "rotate" on you... Be forewarned though, that not all folks can use them either...

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have an implant and it has caused me great aggrevation. Fell out once. Had an infection after it was placed. It's still a little swollen around the area and it's 2 years now! I think I need another one on the other side and I am considering just having the tooth pulled. The more you tell me about Sjogrens the more you convince me to get tested to see if I have that too.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

Marla
    Being in the dental field I find it hard to believe with your medical history that someone felt you were a candidate...also, are you on any osteoporosis drugs?? They can have devastating effects on the jawbone. I am curious to know.
    Andrea
    Andrea