Thread: Swollen finger pads and red nail beds

Thanks

Default Swollen finger pads and red nail beds

Hi everyone

I've had problems with fingers for a 3 months now i.e. red nail beds, a little swelling, itching, blistering, red streaks under the skin from finger tips to knuckles. When i began 200mg Plaquenil mid-July symptoms improved dramatically. But now, my little finger is really quite red and swollen at the tip and underside on the finger pad, and puffy all around the cuticle. I have a positive anti-dsDNA but not yet offically diagnosed with Lupus (though suspected). Are on-going finger problems and swelling a usual Lupus symptom, even while on Plaquenil???
    Shantelle
    Lupus & Rosacea. Cutaneous symptoms, photosensitivity, ANA 1:640+. Currently using: Since end April '10 50mg Doxycycline / Since 17 July '10 1x Plaquenil 200mg day.

Thanks

Hello Shantelle

I have similar probs with fingers but luckily no swelling...
    I`ve always had bleeding skin under the nails in summer and when working with things, since I am a child, it hurts but I didn`t pay so much attention to it and always cut them off.
    This bleeding led to that, that the tops my fingers, especially on the right hand now look a little bit deformed because of the thickened skin from the wounds.

And since I have my sun allergy I often get those itching and burning red points on my dorsal hands but they are not soo bad and disappear again.

I also have a strange nail colour,it is a kind of darker pink than normal, like in your case...

I also suspect Lupus but I haven`t done the tests you have to do for testing SLE and the other variants of Lupus yet.

Think that your swelling could be a sign of Lupus or other Autoimmunes in general, but I am not an expert and maybe there are many other possible causes for it, like seasonal allergies,bites etc..

nice greetz

Thanks

Hi there

Thanks fo your reply and helpful info

Do you think you might get tested for Lupus?? Sorry to hear about your bleeding under nails, sounds very painful!

While visiting mum today she noticed my hands were quite shakey; am getting quite concerned now. Also, two finger's moon areas have a pinky-grey horizontal (width-ways) thin line across them. I can't find anything online about this sort of thing...
    Shantelle
    Lupus & Rosacea. Cutaneous symptoms, photosensitivity, ANA 1:640+. Currently using: Since end April '10 50mg Doxycycline / Since 17 July '10 1x Plaquenil 200mg day.

Thanks

Hello Shantelle

Yes I might have Lupus too, because some of the symptoms are typical for it,but others are completely absent or atypical.
    The thing with my nails got a bit better at the moment but I am used to it so I don`t find it extremely bad now.

I don`t even really have this moons on my fingers and they are very small,I recognized.

But my nails in general have a dark pinkish colour.

But I don`t know exactly what red nail moons seem to be related, maybe liver.
    Do you know your enzyme test values?

Best wishes

Thanks

Hi Shantelle,
    I hope you are feeling better and getting some good answers... When I had my first major flare about 18 months ago, I lost all my toenails... They turned bright red under neath, and then just started getting loose and fell off one by one. They did all grow back just fine.. I've been told it's just one of those lupus inflammation things. Hasn't happened again and I have been on Plaquenil for about 6 months now which helps with almost all my sxs. God Bless
    God Bless,
    Deb
    "You do not have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body." C.S. Lewis

Thanks

Hi Bunnie
    Thanks for your reply... Goodness me, i'm glad the toenails grew back! I'm in Wk7 of Plaquenil but still seem to be having a flare of some sort because my fingers are still swollen and red with red itchy blothes on the side of the right hand my middle finger. It also looks like some scarring has happened where old blister/swollen blotchy things have previously healed. Do you think these hand symtpoms are Lupus typical or should I worry about possible scleoderma?? I'm not sure. My left hand seems fine- bizarre. What dosage Plaq are you on? i'm only on 200mg day and wonder if this is too low???

Hi whatswrong?
    Thanks for your reply too I did have some liver tests a few months back, nothing out of the ordinary really. ALT a little bit above high side but Dr wasn't concerned.
    Shantelle

Thanks

hello shantelle

you could also have scleroderma thats possible but also skin lupus.
    i have the "problem" that fingers of the right hand look a bit different that from the left, because of thickened skin from the wounds for many years since childhood.

Thanks

It might be Chilblains. I have a similar blister on my toe and showed my rheumie yesterday. He knew right away what it was! If you Google Image it there are some helpful pics!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Shantelle,

I have the same swelling of my finger tips, they get red and feel really swollen however others dont seem to think they appear swollen. When I was first diagnosed with Lupus about 6 months ago thats where I noticed my first problems, in my hands. I've been on plaquenil since June 2010 and still sometimes have the strange swelling in my finger tips. It often goes after a few hours or the next day. If I'm at home I usually use icepacks to stop the swelling...it usually works pretty well.