Thread: ANA and birth control?

Thanks

Default ANA and birth control?

I have read that the birth control pill can affect your ANA. Does anyone here know how? I'm interested in this because only a few things changed between my positive ANA and my negative ANA. One was that I was put on the Nuvaring to control menstrual bleeding, and iron for anemia. Steroids can cause a false negative, and steroids are hormones too.

Also, can Plaquenil affect your ANA? I've been on that for a little over 2 years now. I have read that it's to help alleviate and stop the progression of symptoms. Nothing about if it affects ANA.

Thanks and smiles,

Kathy

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Kathy;
    There is not much information on how birth control affects ANA levels.
    Many years ago it was wondered if birth control pills might trigger off a positive ANA test or lupus, but there has not been any good evidence to prove that it does. There is some evidence that some medications, such as antibiotics (isoniazid, penicillin, and tetracycline), birth control pills, lithium, and some diuretics, such as chlorthalidone (Hygroton) have raised the level of ANA, but very little information on how or why. Since Lupus often affects women during their childbearing years, research indicates that there may be a link between lupus and hormones. Since birth control affects hormones, then there is a school of thought that they can also affect the ANA levels. The relationship between hormones and the disease's preference for women of childbearing age is not understood.
    Women with lupus have an increased chance of having a miscarriage. This can occur either early or late in the pregnancy. Certain abnormal antibodies (ANA levels) present in the blood of some women with lupus may contribute to the chance of a miscarriage.
    I hope this information was a little helpful to you
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie