Thread: Mediport

Blog Entries

Default Mediport

Others have mediports installed? The last three admissions I've been told to talk to my gp about having a mediport installed because it's getting harder to get lines in. How long have you had yours? Do you notice it?
    32 YO Wife, Mother and Advocate
    Lupus - Subclavian Bypass May of 2009. Ectopic Lentis, Scoliosis(not lupus related)
    Current medications: Aspirin, Plaquenil, multi vitamins, folic acid, Methotrexate, Tramadol PRN

You can find me on facebook at
    Please tell me you are from here and who you are if you add me there.

I work full time and Leader for International Autoimmune Arthritis Movement

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Victorville, California
    Blog Entries
    Thanked 1,072 Times in 694 Posts

I've never had a mediport. I do have a friend who has one. Her port is inserted in her upper chest.
    She explained to me that the port consists of a reservoir compartment that has a silicone bubble for the needle to go in, with an attached plastic tube. It was surgically inserted under her skin and it is surgically inserted into a vein (hers is the subclavian vein). You can only see a small bump where it is located. She said that there is no special maintenance. She had a little bit of bruising and swelling after the surgery, but said she's had not problems with it since then. Once in a while, it is a little tender, but no real pain. Like me, she is a swimmer and having the port has not interfered with that at all.
    I hope that this has helped you a bit. She recommends it highly for people who cannot get meds through their veins. If you choose to do it, I hope that it works out well for you.

Peace and Blessings
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

steve.b (10-19-2015)