Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scariest week ever!!

Thanks

Debbie....
    Im seriously laughing out loud "HUMAN OIL CHANGE"..that is so funny...I wonder if it will bring in more donors?? I saw you said that u HAD that type of anemia...that makes me hopeful that mine can go away. Id love to hear your story when u have time. I'd also love to learn more about it myself, i'm scared that it can happen badly again, and i'd like to learn how to prevent it. TTYS
    -Sarah

Thanks

Ok Sarah here goes my story.
    In 1979, I was 5 months pregnant with my second child, it was 31 years ago, but I remember all the little details, like it was yesterday.
    All of a sudden, I started feeling really weak, I couldn't even lift my one and a half year old daughter, who was a feather weight. Then I started to hear my own heart beat in my ear.
    Went to my doctor he did not find anything wrong, except that my blood pressure was low.
    A few days later I went grocery shopping and passed out. Ambulance was called and with my little daughter placed on my legs, I was taken to the hospital.
    I was admitted right away. Blood tests have shown, my hemoglobin was at 2.6, at 2.0 you usually slip into a coma.
    I have received 22, yes, 22 blood transfusions, they where immediatly destroyed, as soon as the blood got onto my bloodstream. It was very painful, when my body was fighting of that new blood, I started shaking, like I have never done before, so bad, it hurt.
    The doctor was baffeled, he had never seen a case like this in a pregnant woman. He even did a direct transfusion, from a family member.
    It was so bad, that they didn't know, if I could be able to stay pregnant.
    He started me on the highest dosage of cortison ( it was called Urbason in Germany)
    that has ever been given to anybody. I don't remember the dosage anymore, but when I was released from the hospital 3 MONTHS later, I was send home with a 100 mg a day.
    Needless to say, I have had the moonface, big time.
    Long story short, after my second daughter was born, ( thank God, she was healthy), I was weaned off the cortison and things went back to normal.
    They had no idea, where all this came from. The doc was joking, that I was carrying a vampire.
    Now this many years later my rheumy is convinced, that I had lupus back then, but was not diagnosed until three years ago.
    The oncologist in Germany told me, to eat alot of canned mandarines. Which I still do.
    It sounds scary and it was, but if you listen to your body, you can prevent it, from ever becoming life threatening.
    I hope my story helps you a little bit. Make sure you get your blood checked regulary.
    Feel better.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

Hi Debbie..
    Thank you for sharing your story with me I am so thankful that you had a healthy safe delivery after all that u had been through...I am shocked that you have had 22 transfusions!!!! seriously, my jaw dropped when I saw that number....I cant believe that your body was rejecting the blood...I wonder if they know why it was doing that. Also, before i recieved my transfusion, I was sooo scared that I was going to have an adverse reaction...THANK GOD I didn't, and that it really helped me. I also can't believe how low your blood count was!!! I was only at about a 7 and they transfused right away...I am so sorry that u had to deal with that, im sure it was a very scary time for you, especially while you were pregnant...Im sure u had undiagnosed lupus then..maybe if they would have known it was lupus they could have treated u differently somehow... SO anyways...you dont have the anemia anymore?? Did it just go away?? Do you take a daily iron supplement? Are you talking about canned mandarin oranges? I'm sorryI have soooo many questions for you about this...but i dont want this ever to happen again, and I want to take the right steps in preventing this.. And also I do get my blood checked regularly...about once every 2 weeks or so.never longer...TTYS XO
    -Sarah

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah2010 View Post
    Hi Debbie..
    Thank you for sharing your story with me I am so thankful that you had a healthy safe delivery after all that u had been through...I am shocked that you have had 22 transfusions!!!! seriously, my jaw dropped when I saw that number....I cant believe that your body was rejecting the blood...I wonder if they know why it was doing that. Also, before i recieved my transfusion, I was sooo scared that I was going to have an adverse reaction...THANK GOD I didn't, and that it really helped me. I also can't believe how low your blood count was!!! I was only at about a 7 and they transfused right away...I am so sorry that u had to deal with that, im sure it was a very scary time for you, especially while you were pregnant...Im sure u had undiagnosed lupus then..maybe if they would have known it was lupus they could have treated u differently somehow... SO anyways...you dont have the anemia anymore?? Did it just go away?? Do you take a daily iron supplement? Are you talking about canned mandarin oranges? I'm sorryI have soooo many questions for you about this...but i dont want this ever to happen again, and I want to take the right steps in preventing this.. And also I do get my blood checked regularly...about once every 2 weeks or so.never longer...TTYS XO
    -Sarah
    Yes, it all went away. I do get my hemoglobin checked quite often. It is always in the normal range. I don't take any iron pills.
    Yes I am talking about the canned mandarin- oranges, he said they have alot of something, I can't remember.
    If you get yours checked that often, you have nothing to worry about.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).