Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scariest week ever!!

Thanks

Default Scariest week ever!!

SO my fellow lupies, it's been over a week since i've been plugged into the outside world! It feels so good to be back...So in my recent threads, i've complained about weakness, pain, fever, chills, nausea etc.etc.....I couldn't have been more right for complaining about these symptoms because I was SICK.
    Wed. morning my mom called the ambulance to come get me, I was virtually non responsive, I couldnt walk, was faint etc..they brought me in and gave me IV fluids, and tylenol for my scortching 103.5 fever and did a througho exmiation. they gave me a chest x ray, CT scan..the whole works...Without finding out results, they admitted me to a room, because, they knew I was sick, and wasnt going to be sent home in that condition....ANYWAYS..long story short....It turns out my body was trying to fight some sort of infection, and couldnt because I was severley anemic. The first thing they did was give me a blood transfusion...that was verry scary, but it seems to have worked!! I also had a lymphnoid biopsy done yesterday, and am still waiting for the results. I am finally home today after 6 gruling days in the hospital..but I am feeling a little bettter. They arnt exactly sure where the infection was comming from, but i've been pumped full of antibiotics and steriods and am going to take it verry slowly untill I get my land legs back. Ive never been so scared in my life....Lupus is a scary thing!!!! I just wanted to let u in on my scary experience this past week...thanks for listening. XO
    -Sarah

Blog Entries
    Thanks

OMG Sarah,

Im sorry to hear what a very bad week you have had.But so glad they helped you feel a little better and get some tests done.I hope you keep resting and let us know when you get the results back.Hope you feel allot better soon.Keep posting when you can.

lots of love
    Amanda.xxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

Rest up Sarah and try to do something you enjoy during your down time - perhaps start reading a series of novels to get your mind off everything that pulls you down.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi fellow floridian

I can understand what you mean about a rough week this year is what i call hospital year. Last vist in june had to be wheeled out of my Rheumatologist office to the Er after getting IV because the pain was so great I couldn't move. Prior to that went to the ER for flare up and pain radiating down my left arm which i couldn't move and found out that I
    had two disk in my neck that were basically mush and had to have surgery two days later so I wouldn't end up paralyze from the neck down. I was out of commision for 6 weeks
    and ill know in October if I am completely healed or if I go back under the knife and this time my neurosurgeon would remove a bone from my hip to replace the titanium i now have. i am currently having a flare up and and muscle spasms from the left side of my neck to my scapula and had to have 3 IM injections from my neck to scapula and today had 500mg of solumedrol and another dose tomorrow. I am usually a hard headed person and won't get treatment until I litteraly can't walk. I have a high tolerance for pain and I am constantly fighting my lupus because I refused to let it beat me. I'll tell you what my Rheumatologist told me "Life is a bitch and it just so happens to be happening to you" I love that because I have a weird since of humor. So I leave you with this yes this is a scary disease but you will get through it take it one flare up at a time and leave the what if at the door their ain't shit we can do about it! FEEL BETTET. SLIM

Thanks

Hey guys...thanks for listening..It helps to just get it off of your chest how scary things have been, because I know that some of you have been in the same or similar situations. I am at home recovering nicely, and had a fantastic nights sleep last night FINALLY!! I didnt have a nurse checking my vitals every 3 hrs, or a blood draw in the middle of the night, or that pesky night light that they have in the rooms at hospitals...lol..I am just taking things slowly because i'm scared to every feel that badly again...I'll tell you what, getting a blood transfusion, when needed is fantastic, I fel better than I have in a long time. Linda, I se that you are anemic...how do you mangage yours? Have u ever had a transfusion?? I'll let u all know the reslts of the biopsy in the nxt few days. Untill then, lets "Keep on, Keeping on"!!! XOXOX Really do love you guys. TTYs
    -Sarah

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Oh Sarah I am sorry to hear about such a bad week. Flares are so scarey when they stop us in our tracks. I am glad your mom was there with you and knew to call an ambulance and that things are beginning to feel a little better.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

Sarah it is good that you are starting to feel a bit better. When I took my daughter to see a doctor on Monday, I told him about my Lupus and he told me to make sure that if I had a good day, to only do 50% of what I have planned or I will be sorry for days later. Boy is he right.

I am not really coping with the tiredness, (also the nausea and the runs from Plaquenil) I have been taking iron tablets for a month now (Only been diagnosed for SLE for a month) and I am more tired than ever!!!! This is the second week back at school after the kids had a 2 week winter break. After teaching all morning, by lunch time I really feel that I need to go home and sleep, but I can't. I didn't have any classes this morning so I went in at lunch time. I managed better for the afternoon lessons. Tuesdays I have a student free period just after lunch, so the break gives me enough energy to teach for the last lesson of the day. This is the same for Fridays. But on Mondays and Thursdays I teach all day and I am finding it difficult to cope. Mind you, the blood transfusion idea sounds like fun... I wonder how I can manage to get one.

Sarah I was remembering about how when you were first diagnosed, you strongly resisted taking any medication - you thought you could fight this disease by healthy living - and then BAMMMM you found out what the consequences of that was. Well you are teaching me very important lessons - to live a healthy life and to listen to my doctors and take whatever is offered to me. When I see the Rhuemy for the first time on August 27 I am going to ask him to hit me with everything in order to control this disease so I can get on with my life. It is a pity you got so sick so quickly, that is one thing I do not want to happen to me. I really want my kidneys to get sorted, but I just have to wait for a few more weeks yet.
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,103 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah2010 View Post
    Hey guys...thanks for listening..It helps to just get it off of your chest how scary things have been, because I know that some of you have been in the same or similar situations. I am at home recovering nicely, and had a fantastic nights sleep last night FINALLY!! I didnt have a nurse checking my vitals every 3 hrs, or a blood draw in the middle of the night, or that pesky night light that they have in the rooms at hospitals...lol..I am just taking things slowly because i'm scared to every feel that badly again...I'll tell you what, getting a blood transfusion, when needed is fantastic, I fel better than I have in a long time. Linda, I se that you are anemic...how do you mangage yours? Have u ever had a transfusion?? I'll let u all know the reslts of the biopsy in the nxt few days. Untill then, lets "Keep on, Keeping on"!!! XOXOX Really do love you guys. TTYs
    -Sarah
    Hi Sarah,

I'm very glad to hear that you are back at home, and starting to feel better. It's amazing what just one good night's sleep can do for a person. Go easy on yourself, and take things slowly for now.

Rob

Thanks

Linda. That is funny that you remember my resistance to the medication in the beginning. I now know, more than ever, that if you want to get better, stay better, or even function....YOU HAVE TO TAKE THE MEDS!!!! For the first time in my life, before I went to bed last night, I was wishing it was morning already so I could take my next dose of Prednisone and Plaqulnil!! I was hypersensitive to the side effects of the medicine in the beginning, but now I know that a little weight gain, nausea and jitters has got nothing on the alternative..which is being sick to death in a hospital. So with open arms I LOVE my lupus medications!!!!!!! I'm a changed woman . Linda, hang in there with the fatigue..I can relate..but now that my meds are almost right, I am feeling less tired. (Dont get me wrong, I still take a power nap almost every day ) Make sure when you see your Rhumy on the 27th, that you listen to him!!! They get paid the big bucks for a reason....I had to learn the hard way, and would hate for you to do the same. TTYS
    -Sarah

Thanks

Linda, one more thing...I had a transfusion because my blood count was wayyyyy super low and couldnt be corrected with just iron supplements fast enough... I am taking iron pills in adition to the transfusion also. Maybe talk to your doctor about it, it might be the boost you kneed to get you on the healing path..I swear by it!!! Its like getting your oil changed...everything is just running better..lol..
    Also, now that I feel so strongly about blood transfusions and how important they are, I was on the red cross web stie, and am looking to host a blood drive in my community!!! Im feeling super proactive!!!! I want more people to get involved with something as easy and important as donating blood! Of course I wont be donating...but I will serve refreshments C'mon lets join together and do some good for our community and others!!! YAY BLOOD!!!