Thread: ughhh!! please give some advice!

Thanks

Default ughhh!! please give some advice!

hey all!

i haven't been on in a while. partly because lupus and fibromyalgia haven't really been an issue at all lately. i started a diet that excluded flour, dairy, yeast, and coffee. i'd already excluded sugar and night shade veggies but taking it that step further literally eliminated mostly all my inflammation and pain. but also partly because work kept me so busy during the school year that i barely had time to do anything recreational. so. . . now, although up until a week ago, although i didn't have pain or inflammation, i still have tachycardia. i also still have the chest pain/discomfort i spoke about months ago. i saw a cardiologist in july of last year. he said my chest pain wasn't due to heart issues. took an ekg and stress test. (keep in mind, as i was told blockage doesn't show up unless your arteries are up to 70% blocked so . . . if you have 60% blockage, that might not show up). this cardiologist said he doesn't think i have any heart disease because i'm "young." i said, "I HAVE LUPUS!" lol. anyway, he referred me to a gastrointerelogist. i have had acid reflux for years and have always taken prevacid. turns out, i do have esophagheal dysmotility but 2 gastro's felt the chest pain had nothing to do with acid reflux or any other gastro issue. reason being one said, ive taken prevacid for years which would take care of any heartburn issues micmicking chest pain. he told me to take 2 instead of 1 just to make sure. if it was heartburn, it'd go away. it didn't.

i went to emergency in october of last year due to chest pain. because my heart rate never went into the 50s, i couldn't take a CTangiogram (something i desperately wanted because the ER doctor told me this would conclusively rule out heart related issues). ended up spending the night, having an ekg, and nuclear stress test. so, although my heart rate wouldn't slow down after three lopresser tablets, an entire bag of iv fluid, and a night @ the ER, i was discharged and told to schedule an appt w/my cardiologist. i went 2 another cardiologist. she instructed me 2 wear a holter for 2 days, prescribed cholesterol tablets just in case i had blockage, and gave me a nitro tablet. she discovered via the holter that my heart rate got up to 131 during the day. she sent me to an electrophysiologist. he told me my elevated heart rate was most likely due to lupus. i gave up. i started the flour/yeast free diet and was in such little pain until now so i just said. . . whatever, screw the doctors.

so, i'm so sorry for such a long post but i need help! i need advice. i've been having chest pain/discomfort consistently for about 2 weeks now. i've also had this sensation in my throat where it feels like i have a cough drop (menthol) in my throat. also, it feels like i've swallowed a large peppermint and its lodged in my throat. and, i wake up mornings where my voice is hoarse and seems like i've been talking the previous entire day. i was ok with that until yesterday. my throat hurts. i can't determine if it's my throat or my neck. my neck hurts to the touch. it's tender. the last thing that inspired me to start this thread is, now, all of my lupus symptoms (aching joints. . . knees, shoulders, wrists, back of neck) have returned. i'm just wondering wtf is going on?!

i'm hesitant to go to emergency solely because i'm tired of no one having any answers for me. i also don't want to waste all my time being given lopresser tablets when my heart rate won't go down so i can't have anything other than ekg and stress tests. BUT, i do feel as if something new is going on. the tachycardia worries me because i also have high blood pressure. it's controlled w/triamterene but it still worries me.

so. . . what do you guys think? should i go to emergency? there's no point scheduling an appt w/my rheumy. although she's good (i guess), #1 i wouldn't be able to get an immediate appointment and #2, i think all she'll do is refer me to either the cardiologist or gastrointerelogist. uggghhh!!! i'm irritated.

i seriously thank ANYONE who's taken the time to read this long post!!!!!

Thanks

All I can do, is tell you my story.
    I have had chest pain and palpitations for years, went to the hospital a couple of times, was admitted every time.
    Had several tests done, holter monitor dicovered, that my heart rate will go up to 180 or more, at rest( sitting or laying down).
    A heart catheter found, that I have MITRAL VALVE PROLAPSE, from the rheumatic fever I had as a child.
    I am now on beta blockers, which took a long time to regulate the dosage, at first my heart rate was so slow, that every thing went like in slow motion.
    It is now perfekt for me, but my resting heart rate is always 100-130, it is my normal.
    Talk to your doc and see if my diagnosis could be your problem as well.
    Good luck.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

thanks debbie! i will definitely talk to the cardiologist about your diagnosis.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

So nice to see you back.I think id get in touch with your Doctor no matter whats happened in the past.Look what Debbie went through then eventually they found the problem for her.Tell them about your throat and neck now as all this could be to do with the same problem or if not somethings deffinately worrying.Dont be disheartened of past experiences with Doctors,im going through the same on a weekly basis.Remember one day one doctor....a.good doctor will finally help you.So keep fighting them always!! Let us know how you get on.If it gets worse just call 911...no messing.Id rather waste their time than not call n be wrong.You take care n we are all behind you when you talk to them...im on the left of you waving my arms lolxxxxxLots of love n hugs Amanda.xxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

thanks amanda!! it's nice 2 be back. . . well, i wish it were under different circumstances! lol. i did go to a 3rd cardiologist today instead of emergency. i wasn't going to go because i figured nothing would come from it. but, i think something may be accomplished. i had an ekg. of course nothing. but, he told me something that on one hand alarmed me but also confirmed my suspicion that the discomfort in my chest isn't due to inflammation. he said that if my heart had inflammation around the lining, that would usually show up on an ekg. now, i don't know how true that is. i'd never heard it before. so, i asked, if the chest pain/discomfort isn't due to inflammation, then what?! he set up a ct angiogram. i'll have that asap. i also confirmed w/him that my rheumy tested my thyroid months ago and nothing was wrong so that wouldn't explain tachycardia or chest pain. so, we shall see. i realized my joint aches may be due to the goofy fact that i stopped taking plaquenil in january. once most of the pain dissapated due to my diet, i figured i'd be better off w/o the plaquenil. i called my rheumy to refill my script. so, i'll start taking asap. anyway, still don't know what's up w/the throat/neck thingee. hopefully i'll find out what's up w/that too. thanks guys!!! hope everyone is feeling as well as can be expected!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WantItGone View Post
    thanks amanda!! it's nice 2 be back. . . well, i wish it were under different circumstances! lol. i did go to a 3rd cardiologist today instead of emergency. i wasn't going to go because i figured nothing would come from it. but, i think something may be accomplished. i had an ekg. of course nothing. but, he told me something that on one hand alarmed me but also confirmed my suspicion that the discomfort in my chest isn't due to inflammation. he said that if my heart had inflammation around the lining, that would usually show up on an ekg. now, i don't know how true that is. i'd never heard it before. so, i asked, if the chest pain/discomfort isn't due to inflammation, then what?! he set up a ct angiogram. i'll have that asap. i also confirmed w/him that my rheumy tested my thyroid months ago and nothing was wrong so that wouldn't explain tachycardia or chest pain. so, we shall see. i realized my joint aches may be due to the goofy fact that i stopped taking plaquenil in january. once most of the pain dissapated due to my diet, i figured i'd be better off w/o the plaquenil. i called my rheumy to refill my script. so, i'll start taking asap. anyway, still don't know what's up w/the throat/neck thingee. hopefully i'll find out what's up w/that too. thanks guys!!! hope everyone is feeling as well as can be expected!
    I was going to ask you if you had your thyroid checked and then saw you say you did in this reply. When you say he said it's "normal", what did that mean? what tests did he run? I had a similar cough throat stuck feeling and found out at that time that the tests that most doctors run to check thyroid aren't really a complete picture of that organ. If you want, you can search on here, there's a thread I started a while back about thyroid testing and different tests, what they mean, what they should be in a normal range and what different options are available for treatment.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

thanks so much sandy! i will definitely check the threads. i have a ct angiogram scheduled so hopefully that'll tell me something. my rheumy told me today (as well as the cardiologist yesterday) that the pain i experience in my chest could be due to fibro. never heard that before. we shall see! thanks everyone!