Thread: Lupus or Flu????

Thanks

Default Lupus or Flu????

Hi

Before I was diagnosed in July, I felt like I had a cold or flu that had lasted for like, six months. I went into the hospital for a week, was diagnosed and put on meds, lost a lot of water and was feeling really good for about two weeks. I had MEGA energy and didn't feel sick at all. Since then, I have been feeling worse and worse. My energy is all gone again, and I feel kind of like I was feeling before I was put on meds, with the exception of all the water weight, and I can still use my voice and breathe... for the most part.

My most common symptoms include: frequent headaches, light headedness, shaking, nausea, I am congested, but only in my nose, vision issues, and hot flashes.

I have others, but these seem to be the ones that stick around or come back frequently.

Is this part of the Lupus, or does this seem to be more like I've caught the flu or something?

I'm a little worried, as my doctor specifically told me to be sure I DON'T catch something...

Any insight is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

Hi SoleSinger, It would just be my opinion, but I guess the only way to find out is to rule all else out. ie.: sometimes a sinus infection can go on for months if it's not treated. Some of the symptoms you mention could possibly be related to sinus trouble - headaches, vision problems, stuffy nose (I'm mentioning this only because I suffer a great deal w/ sinus problems) When I have an infection, I feel like my head is radiating heat (maybe that's what your hot flash is.) It can make you feel tired, and all around lousy and weak. Sometimes sinus trouble is hard to dx. Unless there's something very obvious to the dr. the only way to find out for sure is an x-ray or CT scan to see if you have lots of congestion that's not draining. Just thought it MIGHT be a possiblity. Keep us posted.

Mitch

Thanks

Thank you Mitch!!

I didn't know sinus problems could cause vision problems... Interesting...

But, I wonder, my nose is stuffy, but it isn't INCREDIBLY stuffy... Like, I can still breathe at night and stuff, and my sinuses aren't hard nor do they hurt or anything... Could that still be a sinus infection?

And if so, is that as bad as if I were sick with the flu or something? Or is it worse? Or, or, or..???? You know, if my doctor hadn't said "DON'T GET SICK" I wouldn't be as worried as I am... But, she specifically said... You know?

Thank you again!!!
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

I'd find it hillarious if my doc told me not to get sick, I seem to get sick all the time... one of my many problems!

Solesinger, Mitch is right... if you have a sinus infection, it can cause problems with your ears, eyes and even throat as they are all closely linked. I often see people with blurring of vision, dizziness and a blocked nose... usually a sinus infection, sometimes with a further diagnosis. Get it checked by your GP

Thanks

Solesinger,

The beginning of all my symptoms started with what the doctor thought was a recurrent sinus infection. Headaches, pressure, sore throat, earaches, fatigue I was on several courses of different antibiotics and my symptoms would usually improve while on them, but as soon as I was off them, bam! the headaches. I had sinus Xrays and a CAT scan, both negative. I was tested for allergies, which I do have a few, but not serious enough to cause all my symptoms.

In my case, I think these are symptoms that were related to chronic Epstein Barr Virus, which I was diagnosed with before I was diagnosed with Lupus. And, it was probably a factor in my getting Lupus.

Certainly, do have your sinuses checked, it could very simply be that. If that's not it, maybe you want to get tested for chronic Epstein Barr virus if you haven't already been.

Smiles,

Kathy