View Poll Results: Do you have just sun or heat sensitivity also?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just sun.

2 6.25%
  • Just heat.

3 9.38%
  • Both.

27 84.38%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heat vs Sun

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Question Heat vs Sun

I really wanted to do a poll, but I can't figure it out.

I know that the majority of people I have talked to about this have sun sensitivities, but I want to know if there's anyone else who has honest to goodness heat sensitivities. Even my doc says that the sun is still probably the culprit. I just can't seem to get it through to her that I can be inside all day in the nice comfy air and go outside at night (you know when there is NO sun) if it's hot out still, I'm down for the count. Maybe not immediately, but you get my point. If I go somewhere where it's hot inside it's the same. If it's a nice cool spring/fall/winter day out - I can be outside w/out any issues, w/out any sunscreen, no rash, no chest pain, no dizzies, no nothing! I thought about getting one of those cooling vests, people w/MS sometimes use them - but they aren't cheep!

So, anyone else like me or am I just psycho? Woo hoo, I figured it out! Happy Dance!
    Lauren

Thanks

Hello.
    I have extreme heat sensitivity as well as the sun. My dr thinks that mine is due to an underactive thyroid. But even though i've been taking synthroid to correct the problem, I still am extremely heat sensitive. Their are sometimes when I cant bare to take a shower because even the hot or warm team from it about puts me down. If i'm in a building that is warm its the sam thing, i immediatly get uncomfortable and a little woozie. Also, the sun is killing me these days, i run to the car with a towel draped over my head, and block the sun with it the whole time im in the car. I cant figure it out either...but I feel ya sister...its terrible isnt it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I haven't taken a hot shower in I don't know when! I'd love to cuz I know it would help my aching muscles/joints, but I can barely tolerate it warm some days. I never thought I would see the day when I willingly took a cool shower. My days of soaking in steaming hot baths are long behind me! So sad, I used to love them!
    Lauren

Thanks

I love the feeling of the heat on my joints & muscles, whether it's a hot shower, hot bath, or even (especially??) the hot car after it's sitting in the sun. However, I can't breath when I do that, and then I have a mild reaction, with joint pain swelling, etc... If I get into the sun, look out!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I had a sunstroke when I was 18. I can do hot showers and bath for a short period. I still get sick feelings if I don't cool off when outside.

Nonna

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by red246 View Post
    I really wanted to do a poll, but I can't figure it out.

I know that the majority of people I have talked to about this have sun sensitivities, but I want to know if there's anyone else who has honest to goodness heat sensitivities. Even my doc says that the sun is still probably the culprit. I just can't seem to get it through to her that I can be inside all day in the nice comfy air and go outside at night (you know when there is NO sun) if it's hot out still, I'm down for the count. Maybe not immediately, but you get my point. If I go somewhere where it's hot inside it's the same. If it's a nice cool spring/fall/winter day out - I can be outside w/out any issues, w/out any sunscreen, no rash, no chest pain, no dizzies, no nothing! I thought about getting one of those cooling vests, people w/MS sometimes use them - but they aren't cheep!

So, anyone else like me or am I just psycho? Woo hoo, I figured it out! Happy Dance!
    Red,

Your Poll seems to be working just fine. Anyway, I am of Irish/Dutch descent and have very fair skin, so I have always been sun sensitive. I've been told by a Dermatologist that people with light skin, blue eyes, but black hair, are unusually susceptible to sunburn. Don't know if there's any truth to that as a group, but personally I will burn in 15 minutes without sunscreen.

I have not always been heat sensitive though. I used to live in Arizona, and I was also stationed in Southern AZ when I was in the Army, and I could handle the heat just fine after being acclimated. About a year before my SLE diagnosis, I suddenly found that I could not tolerate anything above 80 when it was dry, or 70 when it was humid. I start sweating, and even going inside with the relief of sitting in front of an air conditioner, I do not cool down for a couple of hours.

It is bad enough that my heat intolerance was one of the main reasons I moved from AZ to Maine, and specifically to a coastal region of Maine where the average high in the summer is only 65 degrees F. I was diagnosed with MS, on top of SLE nearly two years ago, and that has only added to my heat intolerance. I have no problem with cold weather at all, and in fact, cold feels really good.

Rob

Thanks

I am alot like Rob, the heat bothers me so much, that I have moved from Dallas TX, to
    upstate NY. Finally, I have a life again, in Texas I didn't go outside ( except from house to car and back). I did summer hibernation, lol.
    The sun has bothered me me for a long time, without knowing it, I avoided it most of my life.
    Heat just rob's me of the little energy I have. When I am hot, everything slows down, it's like slow motion. Plus I get dizzy, nauseous and whoozy in my head. Not a good feeling.
    We had a few days of 90+ degrees, my AC is working overtime.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

Sarah, you might want to check into having your windows tinted, I did with my truck and it makes a world of difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah2010 View Post
    Hello.
    I have extreme heat sensitivity as well as the sun. My dr thinks that mine is due to an underactive thyroid. But even though i've been taking synthroid to correct the problem, I still am extremely heat sensitive. Their are sometimes when I cant bare to take a shower because even the hot or warm team from it about puts me down. If i'm in a building that is warm its the sam thing, i immediatly get uncomfortable and a little woozie. Also, the sun is killing me these days, i run to the car with a towel draped over my head, and block the sun with it the whole time im in the car. I cant figure it out either...but I feel ya sister...its terrible isnt it.
    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulations, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort wich we ourselves are comforted by God. 2 Corinthians 1:3

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scubagramplit View Post
    Sarah, you might want to check into having your windows tinted, I did with my truck and it makes a world of difference.
    I did the same thing, and it does indeed make a big difference.

Thanks

I too have issues with heat. When I went for pool therapy, the room and water was too warm and I had to stop going. Also, it has been very humid where I live and I have had such horrible fatigue lately and I believe it is from the heat because I do not spend time in the sun.