Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Insomnia

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by debbie-b View Post
    Hi Rob,

Try it and let me know if it works.
    BTW very cute picture. Don't worry though, I could almost be your mother.lol

Debbie
    Aww come on, you can't be that much older than me! I was 38 when that picture was taken, I'm 42 now.

Thanks

Rob,
    You looked like a kid in this picture. I thought that it might have been from your military days.
    Debbie definitely can't be that old! I'm not even old enough to be your mother (52), and I'm one of the grandmothers on here.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magistramarla View Post
    Rob,
    You looked like a kid in this picture. I thought that it might have been from your military days.
    Debbie definitely can't be that old! I'm not even old enough to be your mother (52), and I'm one of the grandmothers on here.
    Hugs,
    Marla
    Nope, I was 38 in that pic. I still get carded everytime I buy a six pack or order a drink at a restaurant. Since that photo was taken I've grown a beard with a bit of grey (that pic is in my photo album) and I don't wear contacts anymore, so I look a little older these days, and there are a few more lines on my face from the stress of the past few years with the 2nd diagnoisis and all the other autoimmune related problems I've been trying to manage. But I still get people who tell me that I don't look my age. Of course some days I feel more like I'm 80.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 07-11-2010 at 04:36 AM.

Thanks

So Rob, I am wondering, while most of us with an autoimmune disease looks twice our age, you seem to look half your age. Do you have some unusually rare autoimmune condition where your own immune system destroys the wrinkles as soon as they appear? I wonder if it is contageous, I would like to make a personal visit and catch that one. By the way, I am 47, turning 48 in November. Gosh nearly 50 - now that is very a frightful thought!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    Aww come on, you can't be that much older than me! I was 38 when that picture was taken, I'm 42 now.
    Welllll, if I would have started realllly early, I am 54. But really, you look awesome in that picture.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by magistramarla View Post
    Rob,
    Hugs,
    Marla
    Unfortunatly, I am older than you, I am 54. Lately, everywhere I go, I am one of the oldest people there, like for instance at work.Ugh.
    I am going to have to hang out with some older people for a while, so that I can feel young again.
    But like Rob said, we all feel like 80, alot of the time.
    From one grandma to the next, HAVE A NICE DAY.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Linda From Australia View Post
    So Rob, I am wondering, while most of us with an autoimmune disease looks twice our age, you seem to look half your age. Do you have some unusually rare autoimmune condition where your own immune system destroys the wrinkles as soon as they appear? I wonder if it is contageous, I would like to make a personal visit and catch that one. By the way, I am 47, turning 48 in November. Gosh nearly 50 - now that is very a frightful thought!
    You don't look 47! I would have guessed maybe 40 tops. The whole youthful look thing has been mostly a blessing, and sometimes a curse. When I first started my career in the firearms industry, it really worked against me. People think a competent and experienced gunsmith has to be a really old slightly overweight guy with a receding hairline.

It made for some really funny situations. I used to have my father help me by being "the face" of my business. I actually had people tell me after the fact that had they dealt with me directly, they would never have turned over their prized firearm to a "kid". I caught hell in the Army too. My Drill Sgt.'s immediately homed in on me because I looked like I was still in junior high. I was dubbed "Private Babyface" (no laughing).

Must be in the genes, because my father does not look his age at all either. We were laughing at some old pictures of him. He became a police officer after he served in the Marine Corps, and was 23 when he graduated from the academy. In the pictures he's trying to look the part of a "tough guy" cop, but he looks more like a 14 year old kid dressing up as a cop for halloween!

Rob

ETA-I almost forgot to metion this- I went and had my Ambien refill filled yesterday, and I am going to try it tonight on an empty stomach as suggested and see if it works.
    Last edited by rob; 07-11-2010 at 07:30 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Well, this grandmother is old enough to be Rob's mother. Like rob I got carded until my forties. However this past year my skin started to show my true age. I'm going to have to get my daughter to show me how to upload a pic.
    I wonder though if our intake of cafeine has anything to do with the insomia. Any thoughts?
    Nonna

Thanks

Nonna,
    I'm another one who is always told that I look young for my age. Our oldest grandson is 11 years old. Anytime that we've had him with us, we've had to convince people that he is indeed our grandson, NOT our son. It doesn't help that he looks so much like his Grandpa, either.
    I've tested the caffeine theory. I don't drink soda at all, but I usually drink a cup of hot coffee in the morning and at least two glasses of iced coffee in the afternoon. I tried cutting out the afternoon iced coffee for a while. All it did was make me cranky. It didn't help the insomnia at all. I'm convinced that the thing that wakes me up are muscle spasms.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Wink

Rob,
    I love the "private babyface"!!!
    My son Tom had the same problem in the Marines. He was a baby, though. He was 17 when he went to training, and was 18 when he deployed to Iraq.
    Like you, he had a skill that earned him some respect. He might have been the youngest guy in the unit, but he was usually the ONLY guy who could keep the computer network up and running.
    He's now a 28 year old executive in charge of computer programming and training at an up-and-coming business in Houston. He runs into the same problems that you faced with making people take him seriously at first, since he looks so very young.
    Complain, complain - I know there are lots of folks who would like to have his "problems".
    Hugs,
    Marla