Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Insomnia

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I've tried all sorts of different meds in an effort to get past my chronic insomnia, but nothing works well for me. It's frustrating. I just try to roll with it. If I can't sleep, I'll get up and do something in hopes of eventually getting tired enough to sleep. Even then, I still only get in a couple of hours before I wake up.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

When my mind won't shut down, I sit up and start knitting, the monotony of counting stitches sometimes helps. I tried the notebook awhile back when I got my Itouch. It didn't work. My creatve writers mind just kept going.

Nonna

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nonna View Post
    When my mind won't shut down, I sit up and start knitting, the monotony of counting stitches sometimes helps. I tried the notebook awhile back when I got my Itouch. It didn't work. My creatve writers mind just kept going.

Nonna
    You remind me, of me, only I don't knit!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have always been a night owl, but now it's sooo much worse! Even when I'm not on any meds I still can't sleep. If I do manage to fall asleep at a decent hour, it's not for long and then I'm up for hours. Kind of runs in the family too, so that doesn't help. I don't like taking anything to help me sleep, but that's a lonnnnnngggg story! So, what do you do when you're on high dose of Prednisone? Right now, I'm on 60 mg and I'm soooo wired!
    Lauren

Thanks

For all the people who have tried Ambien and say it doesn't work, try to take it on an empty stomach. I used to take it whenever I was ready to go to bed and half the time it wouldn't work, until my doctor said, that I have to take it on an completely empty
    stomach.
    For me it works, I make sure, that I don't eat ANYTHING before I take Ambien and boy does it work. Within 15 minutes, I am really loopy and my husband shows me the way to the bed.
    Btw I have been taking it for almost ten years now.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to debbie-b For This Useful Post:

rob (07-10-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by debbie-b View Post
    For all the people who have tried Ambien and say it doesn't work, try to take it on an empty stomach. I used to take it whenever I was ready to go to bed and half the time it wouldn't work, until my doctor said, that I have to take it on an completely empty
    stomach.
    For me it works, I make sure, that I don't eat ANYTHING before I take Ambien and boy does it work. Within 15 minutes, I am really loopy and my husband shows me the way to the bed.
    Btw I have been taking it for almost ten years now.

Debbie
    You know, I've tried Ambien, but it didn't help. I didn't realize that you should take it on an empty stomach. I always took it with some food or when I was full. I still have a refill, I think I'll get it and try it on an empty stomach.

Rob

Thanks

Hi Rob,

Try it and let me know if it works.
    BTW very cute picture. Don't worry though, I could almost be your mother.lol

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

I seem to sleep in three hour cycles. I sleep soundly the first three hours, then wake up to make a potty run. I spend the next three hours tossing and turning with my legs spasming and hurting. Then I make another potty run, toss and turn a few more minutes, then drift off for another three hours.
    I definitely don't feel rested after a night like that.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

The most trouble I have had falling asleep is when i was taking prednisone. I took it at night thinking I'd sleep through most of the appitite increase. BAD choice. Even ambien didn't work. Now, I take the prednisone as soon as I wake up in the am and an ultram(tramadol) at night. That usually helps me get a pretty good nights sleep. I have grandkids(3 and5) that often stay over and I have no problem hearing them if they wake up at night. If I don't take the ultram I am aching all night and unable to sleep. Maybe you can try the pain medicine when somone else is there to hear your son just in case. Hillbillie

Thanks

I had the worst reaction ever to Tramadol. My doc wrote NO TRAMADOL in red on my records.
    I took the Baclofen (started with half) with fear and trepidation, but it was fine for me.
    Jeff found that Tramadol is an opioid, and I am so allergic to them, I can't even eat poppy seeds, which cause me to break out in hives.
    Hugs,
    Marla