Thread: "hows the health"?

Thanks

Question "hows the health"?

So today I got asked "how's the health"? by a work collegue who knew I had been going through a difficult time with my lupus. I really stumbled over the answer, couldn't think of how to answer this question. It is such a big question but I don't think she realised it. I just kinda brushed it off then she asked it again in a different way and again I found it difficult to find the words to describe how my health has been. I didn't want to say "I'm fine, it's good" because it isn't and I do want her to realise that it has been difficult, but I also didn't want to go into all the ways it sucks and everything thats wrong because lets face it where do you start. Perhaps I just got caught off gaurd as I met her for a meeting not a personal chat.

How do others answer such questions? I can't seem to find the right words.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I don't get asked much anymore, but when I do, my answer depends upon who's asking. If it's someone close, I usually tell them that I have my good days, and my bad days. I usually don't elaborate much. If it's a casual aquaintance, I just say "same stuff, different day". The only place I really go into detail on that question is here, because I know people will understand what I'm talking about.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Sprant,
    I'm glad you asked that question. I get asked the same question by all the people I know. I really like Rob's answer. It's a good one to use. I'm going to.......
    Same stuff, different day........ same old, same old.......

Thanks Rob Great Idea!

Nonna

Blog Entries
    Thanks

for me, it also depends on how close they are. I feel like my closest friends and family don't really understand/think I am complaining so for the most part I just say today is a good day or great day or ok day or not so good day, depending on the day. if they ask for more details I just say it's the usual rollercoaster of ok, bad, ok, good, great, not so great, ok, bad and today I am at such and such level. like Rob said, I only feel like my friend on here really understand that my joints ache most, if not all the time, and I am tired/exhausted most if not all the time and my memory is shot most if not all the time and sometimes those feelings make up a really good day.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

In the beginning i used to tell them the truth....seemed to take along time to answer such a short question People then asked less frequently....then my answer changed to a quick ok Sometimes it felt i culd hear them thinking of what they were having for dinner that night as i answered ...funny but not!! Now like Rob,Sandy and the others....noone asks me anymore...so i only tell people here.Im giggling to myself as i have just sent a 3 page message to someone here.....how funny, but i dont always do that lol...so dont be afraid to ask me lol.xxxxxx
    I am still here,just been on new meds so unable to function like i used to.I will pop back,just know im thinking of you all and hoping you are keeping on keeping on.xxxxxxx

Thanks

Wink

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I really like Robs "same stuff, different day". It is just sooooo hard to describe the roller coaster ride we are on to others, they just don't get it. I don't feel comfortable discussing it either, particularly as the person who was asking isn't exactly close to me. So a simple clear response like Robs would have been good. However, I do want people to understand more about this disease and what it's like, but I guess they can't truely know unless they have it. I guess that's why everyone posted that the only place they can truely say how they are is here on this forum.

Thank goodness for this forum.