Thread: Has anyone tried Reiki?

Thanks

Default Has anyone tried Reiki?

My mom and aunt have recently gotten very into Reiki (or at least I think it's Reiki - they use the Chinese name for it but I'm pretty sure it's the same as Reiki) and want me to go to a free seminar that will teach me how to "self-heal" and my husband how to "heal" me. Since it's a free seminar and they're not recommending I do anything that could be dangerous like go off all my meds, I am going to go and check it out. Supposedly there are a lot of people with lupus who have been able to eventually taper off and stay off their meds through Reiki sessions.

I figure it can't hurt and now that I'm having another flare and have been put back on the max dose of all my meds, I need to try to find another way to eventually get off these meds!! This is a bad one too...my kidneys seem to be taking a big hit, leaking tons of protein, and I'm super anemic (which is strangely comforting in a way because I've been feeling so tired and forgetful, it's kind of nice to know I'm not just lazy/crazy!).

Has anyone else had positive experiences with Reiki? Maybe I'm just looking for something other than the meds to rest my hopes on since they have so far failed to put me into remission which can last through weaning off meds...It was really hard to hear my nephrologist say, "You're young, so I don't want to say you'll never get pregnant...but it would probably be safer if you never got pregnant." Had to choke back the tears when I heard that...

Trying really hard just to keep myself from falling into depression this time...

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have tried Reiki a long time ago. It is an energy based concept and, while it won't "heal" you, it may make you feel better (emotionally at least) if you are openminded to alternative "healing" ideas. I have found that what it does best for me is help me to feel rested and relaxed, much like meditation or yoga. It is not for people who think alternative medicines are hooey.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SandyR For This Useful Post:

the wingless one (06-25-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I tried Reiki a long time ago as well and it wasn't really something I could get into and keep doing, bu tlike Sandy said it can help some people feel relaxed. I've found that Yoga works a lot better because you are actually physically doing it as well as it being mentally stimulating, plus those stretches once you get used to doing them, really leave you feeling pretty good. I also find it helps my major depression better than drugs do.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunniebun For This Useful Post:

the wingless one (06-25-2010)

Thanks

I have to agree with Sandy, you have to believe in it and it may relax you.
    My best friend is a Reiki Master (anyone can become one), and is trying for four years now, to give me a treatment. Without hurting her feelings, I had to tell her that I don't believe in that kind of hocus pocus.
    But many of these Reiki Masters claim, to heal you, so be very careful, don't do it without your
    Dr knowing about it.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to debbie-b For This Useful Post:

the wingless one (06-28-2010)

Thanks

I have been a Reiki master for 10 years, I'm sorry I have to jump in here, you do not have to believe in it, Reiki masters do not heal you, you actually help yourself. We are merely the facilitors for you. It may sound hocus pocus, but I believe that you cannot knock something until you try it yourself. I have never pushed Reiki on anyone, nor will I. There are Reiki and holistic centres set up in the Cancer clinics in two of the hospitals in Western Australia. The patients report reduced side effects of chemo etc, relaxation and other benefits. Having said that, yes, i have lupus, but we are all sent on this earth for a reason, and apparently mine includes a lupus experience. It will not keep me from helping other people in their challenges. I hope this does not offend anyone.

Love Helen

9. The Following User Says Thank You to justanangel For This Useful Post:

the wingless one (06-28-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by justanangel View Post
    I have been a Reiki master for 10 years, I'm sorry I have to jump in here, you do not have to believe in it, Reiki masters do not heal you, you actually help yourself. We are merely the facilitors for you. It may sound hocus pocus, but I believe that you cannot knock something until you try it yourself. I have never pushed Reiki on anyone, nor will I. There are Reiki and holistic centres set up in the Cancer clinics in two of the hospitals in Western Australia. The patients report reduced side effects of chemo etc, relaxation and other benefits. Having said that, yes, i have lupus, but we are all sent on this earth for a reason, and apparently mine includes a lupus experience. It will not keep me from helping other people in their challenges. I hope this does not offend anyone.

Love Helen
    Helen,

I have tried Reiki many times over the years (close to 15 years or more) and been to several Reiki students and Reiki Masters, some of whom have very successful Reiki circles. I am not knocking Reiki or calling it hocus pocus; I am saying that you have to have the ability to believe in alternative forms of medical treatments in order for them to really be most effective. As you said, you help yourself with Reiki and that simply can't be done if you aren't willing to open your mind to the possibility of TRYING to help yourself or the idea that the mind is a powerful enough tool that it can physically affect changes in the body. In the US, Reiki and other holistic forms of therapy are just not as popular as in other countries like India or China or Australia, although they are gaining popularity and we are seeing more holistic health centered practices emerge. Chiropractics and accupunture are two areas that have grown tremendously over the last few years. I agree - we are all sent to this earth for a purpose and am very happy to hear you have found yours. Unfortunately, not so many people can say that with confidence. You are very blessed to have found your purpose and to be able to fufill it. You should not let other people's opinions or ideas that are different than yours keep you from doing what you love, but please also respect that what you love is not and will not be completely embraced by everyone you meet. I personally think it is that ability to be so different and still learn to love one another and get along that makes us such an amazing set of beings.
    Sandy
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Love Helen
    Hi Helen,

As most people here know, I'm the (mostly) friendly neighborhood skeptic around here. I actively seek to expose various frauds with their so called "cures", because their claims do not pass any sort of scientific scrutiny. The ones I actively pursue also encourage people to stop ALL their proven, and clinically tested meds, in favor of "natural cures", while they kill their customer, they also take obcene amounts of money from them. Basically, they exploit people who are afraid, and desperate, and those who would do such a thing will recieve no quarter from me.

That being said, I would not classify you with such people Helen. You obviously do this because you care about people, and you honestly believe you can help them. You are not advising people to stop their meds, you are simply offering people a supplement to their current treatment, that may actually help individuals cope with their daily problems. You are not purporting to have a "cure", nor do you actively pressure people to seek this supplemental treatment activity. I may be skeptical about whether such an activity could help me, but I'm not skeptical that others could find it helpful, nor am I skeptical about your true intent to help people.

I don't think you've offended anyone. As they say in your part of the world-No Worries!

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 06-28-2010 at 10:13 AM.

Thanks

Love Helen
    I did not not mean to offend you in any way. It is just that I don't believe in Reiki, that does not mean other people should feel the same way.
    I even said, that if somebody believes in it, it could help, by relaxing that person and that alone, might help somebody. It is just not something, I would choose for myself.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).