Thread: Lupus and chicken pox

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Exclamation Lupus and chicken pox

Hi Guys,
    how is everyone doing?
    Quick update:
    Ive been doing incredibly well of late, in remission, and feeling healthy

I have one concern, two of my colleagues has been diagnosed with chicken pox, one after the other.
    Ive had chcikenpox as a child, Am I in any real danger ?
    Can I get chickenpox again?

Sounds paranoid,I know, but one can never be too carefull right?
    I intend to live forever, so far so good

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Morpheus,
    Chicken pox is a form of the Herpes Virus. Those of us that have been exposed to the virus in the form of chicken pox as a child usually will not develop it again. HOWEVER, there are some who do get a 2nd case later. There are also some people, like me, who can develop another form of the virus called Shingles (sometimes called adult chicken pox). You can find out a lot about these if you do a simple google search. I know when someone in my environment is sick with chicken pox, I take more care to stay clear until they are better on my doctor's advice. In fact, I do that with any viruses since I know I am extremely prone to "catching" things. Having AI problems does make us at a higher risk than those who don't have AI problems, but only you and your doctor can really say how much higher your risk is from your experiences. BTW, I don't think you sound paranoid at all, but I am also the person who wipes down her work stations (I have 2) every day with lysol wipes. Phones, computer mouse, keyboards, handles, etc. I feel that I can never be too careful too.
    Sandy
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have heard this question answered both ways. I have heard that you cannot get them again, but I have also heard that you can get them more than once. I know that I had shingles a few years back and the doc said it was a form of the chicken pox virus. It would be interesting to find a straight answer!!!
    A good friend will help you move, a GREAT friend will help you move a body . . . Let me know if I need to bring a shovel!!!

Thanks

I too had chickenpox as a child and had shingles about a year ago. They are both from the same family. I had non rash shingles, which are just as painful, as the shingles with rash.
    My doc told me that I must have been exposed to chickenpox, in order to get shingles.
    So be careful and use alot of sanitizer.

Debbie
    I may have been dealt a bad hand, but at least I'm still playing with a full deck. ( most of the time anyway).

Thanks

My hubby and my grandson can tell you - you CAN get them twice.
    My husband had a fairly mild case as a baby, according to his Mom. When our two oldest kids had it, he was under stress, taking final exams, and he broke out with a good case of chicken pox.
    My grandson also had a mild case as a baby. My daughter took him to the doc as soon as he got sick, and he was given a shot to make it milder - bad mistake, as far as I'm concerned. Sure enough, when kids in his 4th grade class started getting it last spring, he came down with a doozy of a case of chicken pox.
    So, now Jeff and David can commiserate as the two guys in the family who have had it twice.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I also heard that you can get them ywice. I had them as a child and the past 10 years i have outbreaks of the herpes viruse on my eyelids and it caused me to have scar tissue in the tear duct in my right eye and to have a replacement of this with a glass tube known as a jones tube, now in the last year these show up on the nostril inside and when this happens i go into a flare. They also told me i could develope shingles at any time with these outbreaks. Yummie something else to look forward to. Hope you do not get this. Bonita