Thread: Flu shots while on Cytoxan therapy?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Flu shots while on Cytoxan therapy?

Does anyone know if it's safe to get a flu shot while on Cytoxan therapy? I searched the boards and really didn't see anything. Consulted some lupus book and it mentioned being cautious about getting immunizations when you have lupus.

Any info would be appreciated!
    Catlady4520

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Catlady:
    There are two schools of thought concerning lupus patients and flu vaccinations. In patients with systemic lupus erythematosus, there is some evidence that infections can trigger a disease flare and, therefore, flu vaccinations should be avoided. Cytoxin is an immunosuppressant drug -in other words it dampens the immune system's capability to respond to infections. Therefore, there are some who say that it is not advisable to take a flu vaccination when taking Cytoxin.
    I would say that this is an issue that you really need to discuss with your doctor prior to making any decisions regarding a flu vaccination!

Let us know if you find out any thing further about Cytoxin and the flu vaccination!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default flu

Thanks I checked with my rheumatologist and she said I'm considered high risk and definitely need to get a shot this year. I'm also on allergy shots but she wants me to check with my allergist to see if I should continue those. Thanks for your feedback. I was reading that anything that boosts the immune system should be used cautiously while on chemo. I'm just wondering what to do to keep from catching everything other than maybe vitamin C and using the hand sanitizer. I've caught everything that has come around so far!
    Catlady4520