Thread: support

Thanks

Default support

Hello Everyone.

So, I tried a different approach to my SLE today and visited a herbalist. Without saying a word, he within minutes picked up on my auto-immune and thyroid problem. I was blown away that with a simple noninvasive, test performed with my arm, he knew what was wrong with my body!!! He gave me Olive leaf extract. I am going to take one first thing in the morning. I have looked further into it online and found out that there are lupus remission stories related to this extract. Has anyone tried this before??? Or any other herbal remedies?? I will let u know if it helps.
    -Sarah

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sarah2010 For This Useful Post:

Hillbillie (06-08-2010)

Thanks

I haven't tried the olive leaf but am curious as to what will work. Lots of these herbal things do help. Please do let us know. Thanks Billie

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

One website says Olive Leaf Extract cures cancer, another says it cures everything from the common cold to hepatitis and diabetic conditions. Yet another says it's an immune system booster. The truth is, this stuff has not been subject to anything resembling proper clinical trials, and the so called "healing properties" are based on anecdotal testimonies from unknown consumers. This stuff is snake oil, and those who peddle this garbage do far more harm than good. If this product does actually boost the immune system, then it's THE LAST thing you should be putting into your body. Our immune systems are already out of control, and some "Herbalist" just flippantly gives you something that boosts the immune system? These people are frauds, and I would steer clear of them, and the unproven expensive cure-all products they push.

Rob

Thanks

Rob, hi
    Thank you for your opinion. All though their is truth in your reply, with the herbs not being approved by the FDA, no clinical trials, etc.and claiming that they "heal" numerous ailments. I feel like healing herbs are not to be totally disregarded! And not everyone who practices eastern medicine is a frauds. Herbs are the oldest form of medicine..It's what people used before the pharmacutical companys and the FDA (which I don't trust anyways). At this point, for as bad as I've been feeling lately, I feel like it's worth a shot. Im not currently on the prednisone or plaqulinil(because of weird side effects) I've been off of both of them for 2 weeks. And to be honest, i physically feel worst than I have in a long time. I am desperate for relief... So it's worth a shot.
    -Sarah

Thanks

Billie
    What herbs have you tried?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah2010 View Post
    Rob, hi
    Thank you for your opinion. All though their is truth in your reply, with the herbs not being approved by the FDA, no clinical trials, etc.and claiming that they "heal" numerous ailments. I feel like healing herbs are not to be totally disregarded! And not everyone who practices eastern medicine is a frauds. Herbs are the oldest form of medicine..It's what people used before the pharmacutical companys and the FDA (which I don't trust anyways). At this point, for as bad as I've been feeling lately, I feel like it's worth a shot. Im not currently on the prednisone or plaqulinil(because of weird side effects) I've been off of both of them for 2 weeks. And to be honest, i physically feel worst than I have in a long time. I am desperate for relief... So it's worth a shot.
    -Sarah
    Hi Sarah,

I realize that before the advent of modern medicine that herbal remedies were widely used by many different cultures. The point is not that some of these remedies were not effective, because many in fact were. The problem lies in the fact that many herbal "remedies" do indeed contain active ingredients that can have a profound effect on various bodily systems, and those effects can often times be negative. The amount of active ingredients in these products are not regulated, so you really do not know what kind of dose you are taking. Also, many of these products contain only trace amounts of the active ingredient, and you end up taking a product with absolutely no effect, either positive or negative, at all.

Olive leaf contains a compound called Oleuropein, which is a known immunostimulant. To stop taking Plaquenil and Prednisone, which are both immunosuppressants, and then take a compound that is an immunostimulant, can at the very least cause a bad flare, and at the worst, irreversible damage from an already out of control immune system that now has a boost. I know you are frustrated, and desperate for relief, but that is exactly what the people who sell these herbal products prey upon. Add to that the unsubstantiated accusations from the sellers of these products of conspiracies and fraud on the part of the FDA, and they have a great sales pitch and marketing strategy. Unfortunately, that strategy rarely has the best interests of the patient in mind.

The Lupus Foundation of America has the opinion that some alternative treatments can be an effective compliment to proven drugs such as Prednisone and Plaquenil for some people, and I agree with them. However, they warn people that completely stopping their meds to only pursue alternative treatments alone, can be harmful, and in many cases, fatal.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox and quit bugging you about it. I would just suggest that you learn as much as possible about the product you are thinking about taking, and look at the risks versus the benefits so you can make the most informed decision possible as to what treatment route to take.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 06-09-2010 at 10:09 AM.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Sarah;
    I truly understand your wish to be free of pharmacological drugs and to put you Lupus is remission. However, I must agree with Rob on attempting to do this with a disease such as Lupus.
    Lupus is a disease where the immune system is over active, making antibodies that then destroys healthy body tissues, organs, etc. The purpose of the immunosuppressant drugs (such as Prednisone, Methotrexate, Cellcept, etc) is to slow down that over active immune system and, thereby, slow down the destruction of healthy tissues, organs, etc.
    Taking an Herbal supplement/medication that proposes to strengthen the immune system is, essentially, helping the Lupus to destroy our bodies. Lupus patients are, therefore, strictly admonished from partaking in herbal remedies because so many of them actually exacerbate our symptoms, throw us into a flare-up, and causes us preventable damage which may not ever be reversed. Also, there is NO CURE for Lupus..for some it may go into remission, but it is never cured.
    It is very dangerous to abruptly stop taking our medication (some meds Must be tapered and if they are not, it could be very serious and even fatal) and even more dangerous to replace them with unregulated herbal med/supplements.
    If your aim is to truly slow down the destruction of healthy body tissues/organs, to ease your pain, and to hopefully put your Lupus in remission, then you should do this under a doctor's care, with medications that are proven to provide the needed results, and with a health regimen that helps your body to heal (not a regimen that helps your body to be destroyed).
    I apologize if I sound abrupt or unkind, but I have personally witnessed the destruction caused by attempting to cure Lupus with herbal remedies..one such witness was the death of someone who I cared deeply for. I do not want ANYONE to put themselves in risk and/or danger of death by turning away from their physician prescribed medical therapy.
    We all want to be rid of this disease and it symptoms that cause us so much pain and so many limitations. But, taking a path that may only add to the problems is far to dangerous. So, please, at the very least, speak with your doctor about your decision and do not continue without a doctor's guidance and/or approval. Please, for the sake of your health, do those two things for yourself and for those of us here who only want the best for you!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

My dearest Rob, and Saysusie..
    I appreciate your you both being concerned, and stern with your responces. I am a new at lupus, and still ignorant to this disease. I am everyday trying to educate myself more about how to cope, treat, and live with this stupid disease. I feel like you two responded because you care, and that you know what y our talking about. I agree with replies, and am NOT going to take those pills. So, THANK YOU for your intulect, experience and guidance ...
    one more thing.. I went to the Dr. today because i've been feeling exceptionally lathargic and tired, turns out my thyroid is totally outta whack!!! So...I'll leave the herbal suppliments and herbalist to someone with out a life thretening desiese, and continue to listen to an actual Dr...thanks again guys.
    _Sarah

Thanks

That's good news Sarah, and believe me when I say that our responses are indeed from genuine care and concern, and nothing else. There was a time where I got so fed up and frustrated that I contemplated throwing all the meds I take in the garbage and just not take anything. Fortunately, I had someone give me some good advice and it stopped me from making the wrong decision. I very much understand how you feel, because I was once there myself. The Plaquenil really is an effective drug, but it can take up to 6 months to finally start working, and I know it's hard being patient when you are in pain. Things will get better for you, and in time you will learn new routines and ways of coping. There is light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel can sometimes be a long one. Just hang in there, and know that if you need to talk, we are here for you.

Rob

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Sarah;
    I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that. I cannot add much more than what Rob has said. I just want to make sure that you know that everyone here wants only to help you cope with this disease and to maintain a reasonably normal lifestyle.
    You will NEVER hear any on this site tell you any lies about this disease, its medication, its treatments or its symptoms. As such, you will never hear anyone say that there is a sure fire cure for this disease (because that is a lie), or a quick way to eliminate symptoms (another lie), or that a particular drug/pill/concoction will make all symptoms disappear. Anyone who says this or proposes this is lying. This may be difficult for you to hear, but it is essential that you understand this for the sake of your health.
    Only the truth will be spoken here and, sometimes, that truth can be a hard pill to swallow. But, knowing the truth, learning as much as you can, and making the right decisions can be your key to being as healthy as you can.
    Please know that we are here to help you, to guide you and to make sure that you know that you are not alone and that we understand. If you have any questions about your prescribed medications, the reason for their use and what to expect, please feel fee to ask us and we will give you as much information as we can.
    I wish you the very best and know that we do genuinely care

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!