Thread: STROKE??? Please help!

Thanks

Default STROKE??? Please help!

My husband has SLE and is feeling odd today... its happened before as well. He said that his nose and lips feel numb and tingly and that he is feeling rather faint as well. Is this common with Lupus? Could this be sign of stroke? Anyone feel this ever? Please help he is really worried and has horrible doctors so calling them isn't the best option at this moment!!

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

CNS involvement from Lupus can cause odd symptoms of numbness, but I have to say that if you even remotely suspect a stroke, you need to get him to an E.R. IMMEDIATELY. A stroke is a medical emergency of the highest order, and he needs to get checked out, bad doctors or not.

Rob

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I absolutely agree. CNS involvement with Lupus can cause strokes and they should not be ignored. Get him to the ER immediately! Please let us know how he is afterwards.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Ok I read this and I just had to respond to it. I have a bad local rheumy(which is why Im seeing a new one next month) but my rheumy who coordinates my regular is 3 hours away. I have also had strange happenings like this. This was late last year I was at school under the fluorescent lights I happen to be allergic to and in front of the computer doing math homework. I had a bad malar rash all over my upper body and then I too started feeling really out of it and dizzy and really out there. I couldn't concentrate and my head had a lot of pressure in it. The only thing I could seem to do was keep talking to my friend over the instant messenger I was on on my phone. I tried to do the math work and everything was jumbled and my brain couldn't process it. Then I started getting a numbness in my face and it went from my whole head down the back of my neck and in my throat to where my entire tongue was numb and then my neck and tongue and everything seized up and got really tight as if it was all squeezing at one time. It's foggy thinking about it now but I felt like I couldn't move except for texting my friend. I dont know how long I was like this but I also saw some spots and eventually I was able to move enough to get up. I did and got downstairs and called a friend...everything was so numb and tight I couldn't really speak at all so I had to text her to come get me and take me to the ER. When I got there they did tests and tried to say I had an allergic reaction AKA Angioedema. The irony is I hadn't eaten in hours, the only things I was around that I was allergic to were the lights and I wasn't doing anything but breathing air as I did my homework lol So they gave me an iv and gave me a shot of Benadryl and a shot of prednisone and a slip for 2 more days worth of pred 20mgs, 10mgs 2x a day for the next 2 days. Of course the iv pred made my rash clear up and made me feel better. So they sent me home. The next day I was at home and I was definitely in a flare but then I noticed I started getting that feeling again like at school. It happened again only it wasn't as bad this time..which I thought was from the pred they had given me a day ago. It had been a while since my shot so I went to the pharmacy and got my prescrip for the pred. After I took it a little while later everything seemed to clear up. I can't say how long this lasted because like I said the recall of these episodes is foggy due to what happened. What really got me was the ER didn't even do an MRI or anything to check for TIA or stroke! I just wanna know has anyone else experienced this before as well because I never really got an answer. One other thought I had was a seizure. I have grand mal seizures as well but were not sure if they're connected to lupus or not. As far as reading goes this sounded more like a Simple Partial or Complex Partial Seizure or a TIA. I would appreciate any feedback and I hope your husband is alright and gets this figured out! I will say a prayer. *hugs* -Brittanee
    *LadyBug*- Epilepsy Dx: 2003 & UCTD w/SLE features Dx: 2009 SLE/Lupus Dx: May 12th 2011--Current Meds:
    Plaquenil-200mg 2x/day
    Prednisone-7.5mg 1x/day
    Methotrexate- 2.5mg 4 pills 1x/week
    Keppra-750mg 2x/day
    Daily Vitamin-1x/day
    Folic Acid- 1mg 1x/day
    Protonix 40mg 1x/day
    Bentyl- 10mg 4x/day, Miralax- 17g 1x/day
    Vit. D 800IU's 1x/day
    Lyrica- 75mg 1x/day
    Flonase 50mcg 2 sprays each 1x/day

Wanna know my story, just ask!

*Lord_Walters_Lady* <3

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Anytime you are concerned about stroke should go to the ER. I have had TIA's but also had complete subclavian thrombosis and required bypass.
    32 YO Wife, Mother and Advocate
    Lupus - Subclavian Bypass May of 2009. Ectopic Lentis, Scoliosis(not lupus related)
    Current medications: Aspirin, Plaquenil, multi vitamins, folic acid, Methotrexate, Tramadol PRN

You can find me on facebook at www.facebook.com/sororenotis
    Please tell me you are from here and who you are if you add me there.

I work full time and Leader for International Autoimmune Arthritis Movement
    http://www.iaamovement.org/

Thanks

Do not ignore any type of numbness/tingling.

I had an incident in April. I mistakingly believed although I had left sided numbness/tingling, that if my blood pressure was normal, I wasn't having a stroke/TIA. Not true. I waited until the next day to present at ER. My husband should've called 911 immediately.

For the record, I didn't have a stroke, but they discovered a brain tumor that will be evaluated by a neurosurgeon next month. I will NEVER hesitate to call 911 should a similar incident happen in the future.