Thread: Difference between Cytoxan IV and the pill form???

Thanks

Default Difference between Cytoxan IV and the pill form???

I've been trying to do some research to see what the difference is in the IV form of Cytoxan and the pill form? Solesinger is going to be taking Cytoxan pills and my dr prefers I do the IV. When I do the IV, she also has the nurse add Zofran for the nausea and then something to help protect my bladder. I've searched the internet and can't seem to find out which method is better. Let me know if anyone has any info. I'm also going to be taking Cellcept after I finish my Cytoxan in December. Does the Cellcept make you nauseous? Just wondering.
    Catlady4520

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Catlady;
    Here is the same response that I gave to Solesinger. It seems that IV cytoxan is better tolerated and has fewer bladder problems.
    "Cytoxan can be given as oral tablets, but more often is given through the vein (intravenously, or IV).
    This procedure generally takes between 15 and 60 minutes.
    Large amounts of intravenous fluids are also given to dilute the concentration of Cytoxan in the bladder.
    Pre-medication for nausea is sometimes given, but treatment with Cytoxan is generally well tolerated.
    IV Cytoxan seems to be associated with fewer malignancies and many fewer bladder problems, while being equally effective.
    Controlled studies also show that it improves kidney and autoimmune lung disease."

Saysusie

Thanks

Default IV

That's what I wondered...tried to ask a few nurses and no one could really give me a good answer.

Well was supposed to go for my third round of Cytoxan yesterday but no one could find a usable vein. Two floor nurses and a flight for life nurse all tried and they said the chemo destroys your veins. My veins tend to roll anyway when they put the needle in. Needless to say I was very upset to have to make the trip up the Colo Spgs and then turn around and come home. I have to mentally prepare myself to do these because I know about the nausea I get afterwards. The whole process takes generally about 6 hrs. I get 2 bags of the solution to protect my bladder as well as the nausea med and then the Cytoxan drip takes 2 hrs by itself. The nurses suggest I get a "pic-line"? Guess it's installed in your body to gain easy access for IV's, blood test etc until the chemo is over.

I'm pretty down about this because I when I have chemo, plan my whole weekend around it besides still not feeling well. Still extremely tired and just want to sleep. Still having flares which mean more overall body pain and also broke out in a rash on my face. Oh well, will just have to talk to the dr this week to see what she suggests so can get the chemo done. Will let you know how it turns out.
    Catlady4520