Thread: naproxen?

Thanks

Default naproxen?

my doctor recently prescribed me NAPROXEN, and i've been taking it for a few weeks now. its supposed to be something like motrin, i guess. i thought it would've helped my joints from hurting as much. and i was told to take the NAPROXEN instead of my usual motrin. i have to say though, i havent noticed a change much. even though, i was told it'd take a few weeks to kick in fully, i'm still aching and having back pain. has anyone else been on NAPROXEN? how does it make you feel? i usually take one 500mg tablet around 9am & then again at 9pm.
    UNSPEAKABLE JOY.
    "we must be the change we wish to see in the world."-mahatma ghandi
    1 TIMOTHY 4:12-"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity."

Thanks

Sorry I am newbie here, and not have been formally diagnosed with lupus just in the long fight for some answers...Anyway, my rheumy prescribed naproxen for my joint pain and muscle pain. It did only help some with the joint pain but not incredibly. It did not help the sharp piercing pains i felt in my muscle. I did however have to stop taking it it made me itchy. My rheumy did prescribe endolac in place of , it is in the same family as naproxen. It does help a little more than naproxen, but does not fully help just the first couple of hours or so... Hopes this helps..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to smtab891 For This Useful Post:

unspeakablejoy (06-05-2010)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Naproxen Sodium is a Non-Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drug, or NSAID. Motrin is also an NSAID, but the active ingredient is Ibuprofen, not Naproxen. The active ingredient in the OTC drug Aleve is Naproxen Sodium. I take Naproxen as needed for pain from inflammation. For me, it helps with the pain of Costochondritis, but seems to be less effective on my joint pain. It generally kicks in quickly for me. Overall it works fairly well, but doesn't eliminate pain completely. The major side effect of Naproxen is usually gastro intestinal pain/bleeding, and should be taken with food to avoid this. It works for some people, others find little to no beneficial effects from it, or have bad side effects.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rob For This Useful Post:

unspeakablejoy (06-05-2010)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I took it for years, but after years of usage, it lost it's effectiveness. I used it for joint pain and my headaches. Now I just double up on the ibuprophen. Hope the little miracle pill works for you as well as it did for me
    nonna.

Thanks

Hello
    Im on Naproxen for 2nd time 1 year and half last time had stop it as conflicted with methotrexate making side effects from the 2 to much bear.
    however on its own with planequil fine no side effects long lasting bit giddiness for couple days then nothing always after food.
    for me it has done nothing for joint pain or inflammation but i had to agree try it again due to coming off mtx to try for child obviously once acatully ttc would have stop naproxen anyway.
    im thinking asking try different nsaid.

now in past it worked very well for joint pain,i take 500 mg 2 morning or 1 am 1 pm or 1 daily,gp said vary it i find doesnt help regular dose is better.ive gained new rashes since being on it but thats me we all so different.
    we all vary really cartn advise what one u should have.
    hugs
    melly c

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I honestly do not think that it works well for severe pain. I would re-evaluate your level of pain and let your doc know that is just does not seem to be working. It seems pointless to me for you to keep waiting in pain, hoping that it will eventually work! I would ask for something different.
    A good friend will help you move, a GREAT friend will help you move a body . . . Let me know if I need to bring a shovel!!!

Thanks

Naproxen did nothing for my pain...
    Shannon
    Divorced
    Registered Nurse
    Proud Momma to an 8 month old kitten. She was on death's door when I found her and now she growing up into a beautiful cat, she's my baby.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...
    The courage to change the things I can...
    And the wisdom to know the difference.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

It didn't do much for my pain either, so I don't take it anymore.