Thread: Exposure to Florescent lighting

Thanks

Default Exposure to Florescent lighting

hey everyone,

I have been feeling like crap for the last week or so and have had issues with my heart rate shooting up and bp dropping and feeling like passing out. I also have trouble breathing and chest pain for the past week or 2. I went to a saltwater fish store with my boyfriend this morning and ofcourse after a few minutes of being in there I had to find a place to sit down and try and catch my breathe. I am trying to figure out of this is a response to being around the lighting that they have for the fish tanks. We have a saltwater fish tank in our apt and i was helping my bf with something in the tank and after a few minutes of being near the light or whatever is causing this reaction to me.. I had to go lay down immediatly ... i got short of breathe and dizzy.. And i took my Bp when i could after that and it was lower than it normally should be and my heart rate was 135. im trying to figure if this has to do with the lighting or its just coincidence. I have my dr apt on june 2 so ofcourse I will bring it up. Also I was wondering if anyone has had loss of voice for any reason. I have been having that issue for the past 2 months i would lose my voice for about 2-3 weeks n then it would come back again for a few weeks and then go away again .. I dont know what could be causing this. I have also been dealing with dry mouth and eyes.. maybe sjorgens? idk.. i havent been diagnosed with anything yet. But am on meds..cymbalta 30mg twice a day, medrol 4mg 1xdaily, norvasc 5mg ,baby asprin, amrix 15 mg(muscle relaxer because i have muscle spasms that are very annoying!!) any body have any ideas!?

Thanks

I've heard of several people with lupus who seem to react to UV light, even if they don't get the rash. Stores with unprotected fluorescent lights (no plastic covers) seem to be the source of many complaints.

As for losing your voice, yes, but in my case it's due to dystonia caused by lupus (it's an extremely rare thing, so I very much doubt that's your case). Since you think it could be Sjogren's, you could try sipping on water and other drinks throughout the day and see if that helps as a starting point.

Hope you find the answers you're looking for.
    --Dar
    Neuropsychiatric (aka CNS) Lupus

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Just reiterating what Dar said about exposure to UV rays etc., almost all of us, with Lupus, are affected by UV/fluorescent lighting. How we react is as individual as our disease. For some, it is a mild reaction like rashes, while to others, exposure can cause a full blown flare up. We are told to wear sunscreen ALL of the time (with minimum SPF of 35), even if we are going to a grocery store or shopping mall (where fluorescent lighting is used). We are especially advised to avoid the sun as much as possible.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I've been losing my voice at work; lately it's more husky than usual. I never thought to connect it to the flourescent lighting. Saysusie I promise to wear sunscreen now. You've sold me. But do you think it will help with my voice. People always ask if I'm sick.

Nonna

Thanks

thank you both for your responses!. I too think it is from exposure.. I see my rheum on the 2nd so ill ask him about the voice issue. I seem to have developed the sjorgens symtoms in the past months since i last saw him. So far I have been told i have reynauds and some type of arthritic inflammation but no blood results proving it is lupus as of yet. My biggest problem now is with my heart rate. My primiary dr. thinks that it is tachycardia. Being that I have a higher heart rate as normal anyway . i take my pulse/Bp sitting and standing and ofcourse there is a jump. Im getting an ekg done tomorrow and my primary so i will bring it with me to my rheum apt. Im justr hoping that maybe he can figure it all out already!! The worst part is my dr. wants me to expose myself to the sun ( like a did last summer when i realised i became photosensitive because of the rash i broke out in.) to see the rash to prehaps dx me that way. My primary dr definently thinks that i have some kind of mixed connective tissue problem just by my symtpoms. anyway im being very patient waiting for a dx. Trying to get in shape for the summer!! almost impossible with the way i feel half the time but im determined. FYI_ this is the whitest i have ever been!!!!