Thread: Very strange period...

Thanks

Default Very strange period...

Hi all, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this...and I apologize in advance for the graphic-ness of it but I'm not really sure where else to go and ask about this...

Basically I'm having a very, very upsetting and strange period this month. My last period was 4/13 and relatively normal, I generally have cramps that start when my period starts and I only need to take one dose of Midol and once that wears off I'm good. This month I started having bad cramping in the middle of the night Friday (5/14). I took some Midol and went back to sleep and by Saturday morning was just uncomfortable but it was bearable and as I went on with my day pretty much forgot about it. In the middle of the night the pain started again and by mid-Sunday I took more Midol which lasted me about 4 hours and then the pain came back again so I took Excedrin. I finally got my period on Monday (5/17) but it was pretty light which surprised me considering how bad the cramps had been that weekend (again, I have NEVER had cramps that far ahead of my period before). I only had on a liner and didn't even come close to bleeding through it at work, nor did I have much bleeding through last night and only very light cramping. I thought maybe since I had cramping before hand I wasn't getting it when I normally do (on the first day of bleeding). Then this morning I started feeling like maybe the cramping was starting again and I was getting uncomfortable but it was still bearable. Then after lunch I was sitting at my desk feeling like I was leaking (up until this point the bleeding had been EXTREMELY light) so I went to the restroom and as I was urinating I passed a HUGE clot. It was probably like four inches long and two inches wide and it just plopped out (again, sorry for being so graphic). I kind of freaked out and started feeling light headed and dizzy but I pulled myself back together and went back to my desk. About 40 minutes later I started having the leaking sensation again and when I went to the restroom I noticed that I had pretty much soaked through my pad and again I passed another enormous clot about the same size as the first.

At this point I was still feeling dizzy and having trouble walking straight. I went back to my desk and called my gyno and left a message for her to call me back and set up an appointment for tomorrow. I was only able to talk to her nurse who asked me a bunch of questions and told me to take a pg test (which I did - it was negative). Since those two clots I've passed about 3 smaller clots (more normal sized, like the size of a 50-cent piece) and I am actually feeling much better, no more dizziness or cramping.

Has anyone ever had this before? What could it be?? Could it somehow be related to lupus, a new symptom? My bp has been really high (125/95) for the last week or so and shot up while I was having my bad cramps on the weekend (~135/105) but I thought that was just because of the midol/excedrin/pain. I'm really scared and worried....Sorry for the length of the post and for being so gross but I just didn't know who else to ask...Thanks in advance to anyone who took the time to read this or respond!

Thanks

I'm guessing that the nurse had the same idea that I had - a miscarriage. Could that be possible?
    The other thing that I would ask about is endometriosis. There have been a few discussions here about it seeming to be common in ladies with AI issues. If I were you, I would take some extra iron this evening and curl up with a heating pad and a warm cat.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to magistramarla For This Useful Post:

the wingless one (05-18-2010)

Thanks

Thanks Marla. I did wonder if that was what she was getting at when she told me to take a pregnancy test but I'm sort of in denial about it. It definitely was very scary and unlike anything I've experienced before so maybe it could be? The husband and I are using condoms but not bc pills due to lupus concerns so I guess it could be a possibility. I googled endometriosis and it is definitely something I'm going to bring up in my appt tomorrow as well, thank you for the suggestion. I'm really hoping this was all just a really abberant period and nothing serious...The husband made me a big steak and the kitty is curled up next to me purring right now so I'm feeling okay =) Thanks again Marla, I'll post tomorrow after my appointment with the nurse practitioner.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I had to have a complete hysterectomy because of the endometries that was long before i ever was diagnosised with lupus. I am only finding out that this might be related to this. I remember having very heavy periods and bad cramps since i started with my period at age 12. Having mt operation was the best thing i did but that was after i had my three kids. I hope that you will get some answers soon. Bonita

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonita For This Useful Post:

the wingless one (05-20-2010)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

This same thing happened to me and twice to my daughter and both of our rheumy's told us that it was, indeed, a miscarriage. I hope that you get some answers, you are in my thoughts.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have heavy cycles all the time and I have endometriosis. I was told to take birth control as it slows down the growth afterI had three surgeries to remove it.

One thing that has helped is gnawing on cinnamon sticks and it slows the bleeding down considerably or eat your meals with the spice itself. Maybe cinnamon on top of apple sauce although it didn't help me that much so I just went to gnawing on the sticks. Within a couple of hours, the cycle slows down.

I hope this helps.

Take care,

Faith

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Faith For This Useful Post:

the wingless one (05-20-2010), tripLexie (05-03-2012)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

That sounds like my life. The worse the cramps the more I passed clots. I ended up having to have a complete hysterectomy Bring it up to your doc next time you're there. It's not something to mess with. the lab analysis of the tissue after it was removed was pre-cancerous.

nonna

i'm not saying that that is your situation.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Nonna For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions, I knew this would be the best place to ask! You guys are the best! So I saw the NP and she really couldn't tell me much, she was reluctant to bring up the possibility of miscarriage since I had never had a positive pregnancy test but based on the questions she was asking that certainly sounded like what she was thinking. The thought of that is kind of scary to me since my husband and I do want to try soon and I'm worried it could mean something is wrong? She said since I haven't really had any period issues until now she just wants me to keep a journal of my next few cycles and see if this was really just an aberration or if it could be indicating something serious. Having a pelvic exam (she checked for fibroids) while in the middle of my period is probably one of the least fun things I've ever done in my life =P Thanks again, I'll definitely keep you updated on any news!

Thanks

Don't worry! I've read that we women often have those very early miscarriages, and that it is very normal. Just take good care of yourself, and keep that journal, so that you can follow up on the endometriosis question. My youngest daughter had two surgeries for it, and then got pregnant.
    I'll tell you the same thing that I told her, since you're thinking about conceiving. Take pre-natals, or a good milti-vitamin now, take extra folic acid and vitamin D and get yourself into good shape. Start now to eat a healthy diet. Eat food that is whole and non-processed and avoid salt. The healthy diet can help you to feel better in general, but is especially important for growing a healthy baby.
    BTW, Meg had a very healthy little boy, and everyone comments on how happy and healthy he is. You can do it, too!
    Hugs,
    Marla