Thread: ct myleogram

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default ct myleogram

Has anyone ever had this procedure done. My doctor at pain clinic is sugesting i have one because of the cage and plates and screws i have in my back and the pain i am having. I just went through 3 epidurals again and this is what i get about every year. I am scared to have this done because of the dye. My sister stopped breathing when she had the dye and my mom got giant hives all over and was told not to have it again. Bonita

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Bonita!
    If I am correct in thinking what you are having is also called a CT w/contrast, then yes, I have had multiple ones done. They aren't a big deal, unless you have a dye allergy or intolerance. I know my aunt with MS can't have them done b/c of an iodine allergy and that there are some other factors that might make you less tolerant of this test (such as uncontrolled diabetes). If it's the same test, it's a fast one too. When you get to the radiologist you have to strip down to the waist and wear a gown - including jewelry. Then they prick your finger and test your creatine level (at least they do if you are diabetic) and assuming it is normal, they insert a port for the IV in your hand or arm. Then you lay down in the CT Scan bed and they hook the IV with the dye to the port, adjust you how you need to be and tell you that they will inject the dye. You might be told to hold your breathe at certain times for the radiologist to get a better view. The only thing I wish I knew beforehand, the IV dye often makes you feel flush down there in a way that I seriously thought I had had an accident and wet my pants the first time I had it done. I was mortified, but the technician assured me that is a very common reaction, especially in women. Hope this helps.
    Sandy
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

My family has and intolerance to the dye that is why i am so afraid of this. The dye will be injected into my spine and i will have to lay for a couple of hours after this is done because it causes some people to have severe headaches and nausea it is like a spinal tap. Thank you for responding. Bonita

Blog Entries
    Thanks

just make sure you mention that to the technician and they will be alert for you and ready to react if they need to. also, drink lots of water before and keep hydrated that day. helps the nausea feeling a lot.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.