Thread: Fosamax for premenopausal women

Thanks

Default Fosamax for premenopausal women

I'd love feedback on this one. Due to prednisone use during two pregnancies I now have osteopenia and have been on Fosamax for 10 years already. I have zilch information on what this does to premenopausal women. All my rheumatologist keeps telling me is that the risks are minimal and outweigh the risks of osteoporosis in later years. Yet I keep coming across articles about the problems that can occur with these types of drugs such as esophagus, heart and long term use actually changing the bone making it more brittle down the road. I am 47 and haven't started menopause yet so I'm looking at years of this drug and the latest article I read said a person shouldn't be on it for more than 5 or 6 years. Who do I listen to!?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I do not have a lot of information on this drug. What I wanted to say to you is:
    Do exactly what you are doing. Continue to research the drug, get opinions and testimonials for others who have taken the drug, learn as much as you can about it, insist that your doctor explain to you why it is beneficial to you, and then make your own decision about taking it or replacing it with another similar drug, or discontinuing its use.
    Just make sure that your decision is one based upon fact gathering, informed information, and your own personal health needs.
    Hopefully someone will be along who has experience with the drug and who can share their information with you.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

In your research check for class action suits and FDA actions. I saw a commerial this past weekend regarding Fosamex. Can't remember which it was though. Can't take fosamex dur to low blood calcium .

Nonna