Thread: Hello All...

Thanks

Default Hello All...

New Member jmail here, 1st post. This seems to be a nice community of folks here. I really appreciate the folks here who help to keep & maintain the site and moderate it. I know it's not the easiest nor the most rewarding of jobs, but I do appreciate what you do. I found you all from a search engine (along with a few other interesting sites).

I was finally "officially" diagnosed with SLE a week ago today. I've "known" in my own mind that I've had it for years. My being a member of the male gender seems to have been an influence more than once in some doctors' "discrimination" of diagnosis. "You've got a lot of the symptoms, but men don't get Lupus...", that kind thang. I was referred to a hemotologist by my PCP due to blood work results, and after more blood work, the hemo guy says: "It's SLE." I never knew that there were so many diseases and syndromes that do NOT have a definitive test, or at least a battery of tests, that can tell a person that "you have xxx", instead of all the "well, I think it might be yyy, but it could be zzz..." kind of thang...

Anyway, I look forward to lurking some more and learning a lot about how all you folks cope with "stuff", and even contributing some of my perspective (IF I can get my fingers to work correctly... lol)

bye

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi Jmail,

I'm a Moderator here, and I appreciate your kind words. I'm also another guy with SLE. I know exactly what you mean about Dr.'s not even considering Lupus because it's thought of as a "woman's disease". I was diagnosed back in 2004. Although it's been a rough road with many life changes and adjustments, things are going pretty well. An SLE diagnosis can be overwhelming at first, but the disease can be controlled, and a person can live a good life despite it. Welcome to our group!

Rob

Thanks

Thanks. Some of my "changes" have already occurred (and more happening now), but I'm sure there's more "fun" yet to come!... I'll probably have some questions after my next doctor's visit come next Monday.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Jmal;
    Welcome to our family. I am Saysusie, Moderator/Administrator of WeHaveLupus. You've already met our Moderator, Rob. He is a wealth of information, support, and advice. Especially for men who are diagnosed with Lupus. We have a Men's forum here where guys can talk with one another about their perspective of this disease and can share information with each other.
    I am glad that you found us and that you joined our family. Do peruse the site, read the "stickys" because they are filled with valuable information, and feel free to jump in at any time to join any conversation/thread.
    Once again....welcome!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Thanks for that, Saysusie... I'd completely missed a Men's forum...

I'm having a blast exploring the site. There are all sorts of stickies with good info, I *really* appreciate those. Thanks again.

Edit: btw, I just noticed that "Thanks" link thingie... Is that so that if I want to say "Thanks" to someone, it counts how many times a user gets thanked? I've seen a couple posts with that. I'm going to start using that, as long as it doesn't "tilt" the site's server from using it too much on you guys... lol
    Last edited by jmail; 05-20-2010 at 02:35 PM.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

You are most welcome and I do not think that there will be a problem with you using the "Thank You" often .

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!