Thread: Swelling and Cramping

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Swelling and Cramping

I know I haven't been on for a while and I've got an excuse... I know excuses are like armpits everyone has them.
    For the last couple of weeks my hands have been cramping to the point where my fingers are twisted. They not only been cramping they have been swelling and turning bright red. But the cramping, swelling and redness have almost become a daily acurance. When it first started out it was just when I was over working my self. Now it seems all I have to do is relax and they start to become painfully twisted swell and become read on the palms and down my forarms. Either my father or my husband have to rub really hard on my forarm to uncalsp my cramping and to have the redness to go down enough where I can use my hands again.
    My feet are starting to show the same sighns. My toes on my right foot last night became so twisted with cramping it looked like the were trying to retreat up my leg. The swelling was from the back of the right side of my ankel to the front of my big toe and my foot was going red on the bottom. My husband did the same thing that he does to my hands to release them from their excruciating form. He rubbed it until the cramping in my foot and my toes subsided enough where I could walk around.
    Has this happend to anyone else? Does anyone know what it could be? Could it happen that I went from Lyrica to Gabapenten for my Fibro? Or could it be the other med changes?
    I would like to go to the doctor with an idea of what it might be because I don't want to be told I don't know lets do some MORE useless test and give you some more pills to add to the umptenth million you're already taking. If anyone has been through this or has some idea so I can go with a plan Friday I would apreciate it...
    A stranger is only family you haven't met yet.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have cramping in my hands that twist my fingers and swelling on the left thumb joint and wrist. The crampsin my feet and twos occur mostly at night. Sometimes the cramps in my legs get so bad that i cannopt straghten out my legs. Since i am on the methotrexate this has gotten better. Hope that something soon works for you ask your rhuemotologist about the metho. I think it is all related to the lupus. Bonita

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Some muscle cramps can be caused by low levels of potassium. I know it sounds rather simplistic, but eating foods rich in potassium has helped me with the muscle cramps and twitches I get from MS. Banannas are my favorite "supplement". It doesn't elimnate the problem, but it does help lessen the severity for me.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Rob I appreciate your advice but I am on a rich potassiun diet already due to the lasix I'm on. I am taking a suplement in the morning I eat a bannana with my breakfast, avacado for my snacks and I eat alot of salads with onions bellpeppers and spinich. This is one of the many high potassium rich meals I have to eat do to the lasix (water pill that will lower potassium levels in the body) But here's the odd thing... I haven't been on lasix for two months... (my right hand and forarm swelled and cramped up while I was writing this post.. oh boy what a pain *lol* literally and figuritivly) Plus when I had my blood test my potassium levels were normal so where my vitiman k...I dunno.. I don't mean to be a downer I just want to know what the frick is goin' on with me... Doctors don't have the answers... but you guys are a big help when I go to see the doctor... I go to the Doctor with knowledge of the experances that you have gone through and that helps.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bonita View Post
    I have cramping in my hands that twist my fingers and swelling on the left thumb joint and wrist. The crampsin my feet and twos occur mostly at night. Sometimes the cramps in my legs get so bad that i cannopt straghten out my legs. Since i am on the methotrexate this has gotten better. Hope that something soon works for you ask your rhuemotologist about the metho. I think it is all related to the lupus. Bonita
    So what is the methotrexate do? I'm going to my nureologist friday do you think he'll know about it? Thanks Bonita!!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

That is odd because "cramping" is one of the side effects of Methotrexate. I've not been able to find anything about Methotrexate that is specifically related to alleviating muscle cramping. In Bonita's case, it may be that there was another underlying issue causing the cramping and that the Methotrexate worked on that underlying issue.

Heat, dehydration and electrolyte depletion can also cause muscle cramps especially if your body is draining off body’s fluids, salt and minerals (i.e., potassium, magnesium and calcium). Loss of any of these nutrients may also cause a muscle to spasm. Have you checked your calcium levels? We are often told to take Calcium supplements that includes magnesium.

However, it is not uncommon for those of us with Lupus to suffer greatly from myositis (weakness) or myalgia (pain) of the muscles. Many of us also have overlapping diseases with our Lupus that include myositis or myalgia (for example..Fibromyalgia or Dermatomyositis). You might want to talk with your doctor about the possibility of one or more of these occurring simultaneously with your Lupus.

The muscles can be seriously damaged by Lupus. This damage may result in muscle weakness and loss of strength and inflamed muscles may cramp, be painful, and be tender to the touch. Corticosteroids (Prednisone) are usually prescribed for the treatment of SLE myositis and/or myalgias.

I hope that you find an answer and that a treatment is prescribed that gives you relief. I wish you the best and let us know how your doctor's appointment goes.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Another thought is to have your calcium blood levels checked. low blood calcium caused cramping and spasms and twisted limbs. my hands will lock in the weirdest pain positions if i'm not careful.

nonna