Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sunscreen brands?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Bumping Up - Summer's Almost Here!
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frekkuls View Post
    Hey There!
    I am a fair skinned ginger person...so I'm very familiar with sunscreen!! I've tried them all!!
    With Lupus now, I take no chances!! I use Aveeno body lotion with sunscreen in it....
    and then top off with Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch SPF 100+ w/helioplex.......
    Then I cover every inch with clothing, big sunglasses, brimmed hat, and my umbrella!! You can always spot a Lupie a mile away, LOL

Nertrogena is the best for my sensitive, pimple prone skin...but I only use it on my face from the cheeks on down...avoiding the entire eye area.
    I count on my movie star sunglasses and hat to keep my eyes safe.
    I hope this helps!!
    This is the one I use, I heard from other lupus person that she use this, and won't clog up ur pores. Yes it is 10.00 but its with it. Doesn't smell and oily Hugs Liz

Thanks

I also use Hats. Hand hold Fan, water bottle's and a cooling vest that I am going to buy so you will see me coming
    Liz

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lizbond36 View Post
    This is the one I use, I heard from other lupus person that she use this, and won't clog up ur pores. Yes it is 10.00 but its with it. Doesn't smell and oily Hugs Liz
    This is the one I use as well, especially on my face. It works really well!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lizbond36 View Post
    I also use Hats. Hand hold Fan, water bottle's and a cooling vest that I am going to buy so you will see me coming
    Liz
    LOL I went to a relay for life this last weekend. I had on my wide brimmed hat and big sunglasses at first. As the sun went down I began to take them off and someone asked me if I was mari. LOL I looked so different when not covered up!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

LOL Mari, I look funny and boy do I get looks, when I walk I use my crutches. Just image what that look like, I got fed up with people I turn around and said "Take a picture it last longer LOL.

Hugs
    Liz

Thanks

My dermatologist recommended Ombrelle sunscreen many years ago wtih UVA and UVB protectors, I usually wear 45- 60 SPF

This year my GP recommended a "new" brand La Roche-Posay Anthelios XL melt in cream for SPF 60 for sun sensitive skin.

I am using Ombrelle on my face and La roche everywhere else and so far only mild rashes no hives or severe sun sickness.

Also to the OP, yes sunscreen in my experience loses its effectiveness. I try to get rid of mine each season as I have had a more severe reaction in Spring using "old" sunscreen. I don't always get rid of it ($$$$) but I try to reapply more often etc and usually find I have to go buy more sooner than later.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Did you know that sunscreen did not become popular until the 1950's with the branding of Coppertone and Bain de Soliel? Perhaps that and the combination of medical/technical advances since that time are the reasons there is so much confusion about which kind of sunscreen is best and what the SPF ratings mean and why a higher SPF might not be a better skin protector than a lower alternative. Another contributing confusion factor is just a general misunderstanding of the terms now used. UVA. UVB. PBB. SPF. UVC. What does it all mean to most people? It's been a long time since I learned about the sun and different kind of light rays in school. I know that at that time my high school science teacher wasn't even teaching about UVC rays when we covered that chapter. I don't even know if they were discovered yet. UVB rays weren't fully understood the way they are now. Sunscreen and sunblock meant the same thing to me at that time and that meaning was very small and inconsequential to my life at that point. This was all way before realizing an AI problem or the link to sunsensativety with the AI issues. That just throws another huge monkey wrench of confusion into this whole topic. So I am posting this to help us clear up some common confusions and misunderstandings. It's important to know that the SPF rating is a US-based system that the FDA uses and that other countries, specifically in Asia, and that our (US) system has different regulations in regards to different sun rays (UVA/UVB) than other countries. Also, the FDA has been working on revising this system the last few years and while improvements are being seen the general population doesn't seem to be aware of the differences in sunscreens now and sunscreens from 50 years ago.

The EPA Explains Sun Facts

Sun Dangers Spelled Out in UVA, UVB, SPF

SPF Levels/Times and Skin Types Chart - PLEASE NOTE THIS IS FOR THE AVERAGE PERSON WITHOUT SUN SENSATIVITY!

The Facts About High SPFs

Understanding UPF Ratings - Sun Protective Clothing

A Dermatologist's Explanation of US SPF Ratings

The FDA's Sun Protection Web Page
    Last edited by SandyR; 05-12-2011 at 10:38 AM.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.