Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sunscreen brands?

Thanks

Default sunscreen brands?

This is coming up to my second season. Last year it took me forever to connect that it was the sun making me feel so bad. I don't get a rash or skin problems (except very little) but the sun makes me disoriented, joint pain and neuropathy.

Anyway, I'm sure it's the sun now. So I've been avoiding it but today I brought my SPF 45 to work slathered my sellf up, doned a wide brimmed hat and went for a short walk at lunch. Not too bad really, but not perfect either.

Does sunscreen loose it's effectivity? This bottle is a couple of years old. Do you find one brand over another that works best for you?
    much love to all my lupie friends -

Thanks

Hi Karen,
    I HATE sunscreen. I hate the way it feels, and I can't stand it on my face, because it irritates my eyes so much. I recently bought some Aveeno sunscreen made for the face, since we'll be leaving for Santorini in a month. It still irritated my eyes. My hubby tried it, since he was taking an antibiotic that the doc told him he shouldn't be getting too much sun while taking. He came in from riding his bike home one day, complaining that he cried all the way home because of the sunscreen in his eyes and had to quickly grab a shower and then use my Systane eye drops.
    I'm watching The Doctors on TV right now, and they are doing a show on summer health hazards. They mentioned that Bare Essentials now makes a brush-on powder form of SPF 30 sunscreen. I'm going to look into that product. They also mentioned Sun Guard by Rit, which I've seen mentioned here before. You can wash your clothes in it, and it "washes in" SPF protection. I'm also going to look for that product before the trip. There is also a company called Solumbra that makes some pretty cool-looking sun protective clothing, but the prices are a bit high. I love the company name. In Latin, sol=sun umbra = shade.
    BTW, sunscreen does lose its potency. There should be a use by date printed on the bottle. I think that two years old might be too old.
    Hope this helps.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

I've been that little Coppertone Girl (pigtails and all) most of my life, but find that I've developed a nasty habit of burning like never before, so I'm on the hunt for a good product also.

Thanks

Hey There!
    I am a fair skinned ginger person...so I'm very familiar with sunscreen!! I've tried them all!!
    With Lupus now, I take no chances!! I use Aveeno body lotion with sunscreen in it....
    and then top off with Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch SPF 100+ w/helioplex.......
    Then I cover every inch with clothing, big sunglasses, brimmed hat, and my umbrella!! You can always spot a Lupie a mile away, LOL

Nertrogena is the best for my sensitive, pimple prone skin...but I only use it on my face from the cheeks on down...avoiding the entire eye area.
    I count on my movie star sunglasses and hat to keep my eyes safe.
    I hope this helps!!
    It takes both sunshine and rain to make a rainbow.

Thanks

I'm like Marla - I HATE the feel of sunscreen, especially on my face!! I can't stand the scent of coconut, and I don't like anything greasy on me anywhere. That said, I found out the hard way that I hate lupus flares and boiled skin (literally!) even worse, so when I know I'm going to be out in the summer, I wear sunscreen. I use Banana Boat spf 50 on my arms and legs, but I can't use it on my face. I found a local brand, Meijer, is okay for my face. It's not greasy, it doesn't have a scent, it's spf 45, and it dries fairly quickly so I can put makeup on over it.

I also am very good about wearing long sleeves in the sun along with a hat. I was never a hat person, but I made it a mission to find some semi-cool wide brimmed hats last summer, and did okay. This summer I think I need to go on a search again,because I can only find two of them, but maybe add something to them. Ribbon, sparkles, paint...something to make a big hat more fun.
    Love...faith...joy...hope...strength...
    Lupus, you have no chance!

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl
    (mom to my little Chihuahua, Brandi)

Diagnosed with SLE, Sjogren's, Reynaud's, Celiac, and arthritis November 2006.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I hate the feel of sunscreen too! It just feels like my poor pores are suffocating with it on. I like most of Aveeno's products but not their sunscreen for the same reason. The dermatologist I go to recommends Blue Lizard sunscreen http://www.crownlaboratories.com/bluelizard/. I am thinking of trying that this year. I also like the Nuetrogena and coppertone face sunscreens - they feel a little less paste like to me.
    As long as this body works, I am going to enjoy life to the fullest for each second of every moment that I can.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Does anyone know if there is a spray sunscreen with a high SPF? they feel better than the creams or pasty ones.

nonna

Thanks

I just ordered the Sun Guard laundry additive yesterday through Amazon. Six packets cost me $25.00, including shipping. I plan to wash everything that we're going to pack in it before our trip.
    I also bought a nice 30 SPF sun hat from REI (a sporting goods store here on the west coast). I had seen the same hat for $59 online, but I caught it on sale at REI for $30, plus we got our member's discount. Jeff buys his bicycle needs from them, since he bikes to and from his classes.
    I haven't found the Bare Essentials product yet. I'm going to check Macy's tomorrow.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Blog Entries
    Thanks

i use Neutragena 100 spf sunscreen....i too can't stand the burning in the eyes, so i just put on my cheeks and lower face, then always wear my hat. The sunscreen is light, and not pasty....i really like it.

I have not tried the washing detergent, but, i do wear long sleeves, and my hats always have spf protection.
    Phyllis

share a smile today

Thanks

I bought the Bare Essentials powder sunscreen at Macy's, and I really like it. I can brush it on over my moisturizer, which is SPF 20, and my make-up, which is SPF 15, so I'm hoping that I will be well-protected. I'll let you know how it works in Greece. If I don't burn there, then we'll know it's good stuff.
    Does this mean that I'm volunteering to be a guinea pig?
    Hugs,
    Marla