Thread: Lupus & Crohn's disease come together usually?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Lupus & Crohn's disease come together usually?

Hello everyone. Just got home from a weeks vacation to Colorado. While in Colorado, started having severe digestive problems, and when I got home, had to go to the ER because of blood, cramps and painful distention in my tummy and intestines.

My doctor thinks it's ulcerative colitis, he did a colonoscopy today with a biopsy (I find out friday what the results are). Do Lupus & Crohn's disease go hand in hand? Does anyone have Crohn's here? :?:

I came back to find out my Neurology apt. I had for the last month was cancelled, so now I won't get my further testing for Lupus until next Monday.

I haven't eaten anything but soup and jello for the last 3 days, feeling pretty sick.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Blossom
    I had an ANA test which my internist said was high and he is referring me to a Neurologist for further testing. He is concerned I have Lupus because of the testing and the symptoms.

Thanks

Default Lupus & Crohn's disease

hi blossom -

i am pretty new to the site and i saw your posting. i don't know alot about medicine, but with everything that has happened it has encouraged me to learn as much as i can. I am not sure if lupus and crohns go together but i do know that lupus can cause a number of things and i would not be surprised if it did. When i was at the doctor and through my research i noticed that lupus and celiac do fall together sometimes. celiac is a digestive disease and it can cause lupus like symptoms, but i am really not sure about the bleeding. However sometimes when people have one thing there are two or three other things that go along with it like a domino effect or something. Three of my doctors think its lupus and one of my doctors thinks its celiac. I kind of think it might be both, but i have no idea. Well i know i wasn't much help but if you look up celiac you may see if your symptoms are similar and ask you doctor to do some tests. A lot of doctors aren't that well versed and don't know that much about it.
    I hope this is helpful and keep your head up whatever it maybe, finding the answer in this unknown disease game is a blessing.

take care-
    meshmesh
    meshmesh

Thanks

I just want to know where you were eating out here in Colorado! I will be sure to stay away! LOL! Sorry... Probably not the best time/place to be cracking jokes...
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Blossom;
    Lupus and Chron's disease do not necessarily go hand-in-hand. However, may people with Lupus also have Chron's disease and/or irritable bowel syndrome. Irritable Bowel Syndrome is a medical term used for both Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis, two diseases in which the immune system attacks the gut (intestine). Patients may have diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, and pain that can be difficult to control. Illness in afflicted individuals can result from intestinal inflammation and from side effects of the drugs used for the disease. For example, daily use of high-dose corticosteroid (prednisone) therapy, which is needed to control severe symptoms of Crohn's disease, can predispose patients to infections, bone thinning (osteoporosis), and fractures. For patients with ulcerative colitis, surgical removal of the lower intestine (colon) will eliminate the disease and their increased risk for colon cancer. More than 1 in 500 Americans has some type of inflammatory bowel disease.
    Crohn's disease (CD) is a chronic condition characterized by patchy areas of inflammation and ulcers (open sores) along the innermost layer of the digestive tract. Such lesions can develop anywhere from the mouth to anus, but the majority of cases involve the small intestine or the first part of the large intestine. Between these patches of inflammation and ulceration there remain stretches of normal, healthy tissue.
    There are many theories regarding the specific cause of CD, although none have been proven. It is most likely that a variety of factors work together to bring about the disease. These factors range from genetics, faulty immune system reactions (such as Lupus), environmental influences, cigarette smoking, and perhaps diet. For example, some people are genetically at risk for CD (it runs in their family), and an infection or other toxin may cause an abnormal immune reaction which then causes CD.

Thanks

Sorry Saysusie,

Can I just correct you, Crohns and UC sufferers come under the umbrella term of Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, however, Irritable Bowel Syndrome is a non life threatening disease.

I suffer from IBS but am being investigated for IBD as well as SLE.

Claire

Thanks

I also have IBS (or irritable bowel syndrome). Irritable bowel is also noninflammatory and related to abnormal intestinal motility or a malfunctioing autonomic nervous system. It is very common for people with Lupus to have IBS, I've seen it on some of the symptom lists, and was one of the things my rheumie asked about when taking my history.

I have also read that it is not unusual for a person with one autoimmune disease to have another or overlap with another, can't remember but think it was termed polyautoimmunity. Hence I am not surprised you have Lupus and Chron's. Look at all those that have Lupus and Sjorgen's, or Lupus and diabetes, or Lupus and hypothyroid; all are autoimmune
    diseases.

Kathy

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Claire;
    No need to apologize. I'm not a doctor, so the prospect of me being accurate 100% of the time is unrealistic :lol:
    Thanx for the correction. I appreciate any input that can answers questions posted here.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie