Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olfactory Halllucinations

Thanks

Question Olfactory Halllucinations

Hey Everyone!
    I've been experiences strong unpleasant smells that seem very real to me, but not detected by anyone else.
    I've had two extreme times when I was sure there was fire...a strong burning electrical smell that seemed so real, I went a little crazy tring to find and put out a fire.
    Lately it's been Black Pepper. To me it smells like someone spilled a large container of it near me....I search and find nothing and no one else can smell it, and they reassure me that no one spilled any pepper. It doesn't cause sneezing though.
    Any thoughts? Anyone else have this happen?
    Thanks so Much!
    It takes both sunshine and rain to make a rainbow.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Get to a neuro fast! This happened to me for several months before the actual seizures started. What I have learned is that the electrical smell or "burning rubber" is usually a sign of a tumor or seizures. I put mine off too long and I am paying for it now. Go ahead and start getting the tests done. Make it easier on yourself.

Let me know how it goes

Thanks

Thank you for taking the time to answer me!! Wow, and thanks for being direct. I will call my Rheumy tomorrow for sure.
    That's just a bit frightening! But I'm trying to stay zen about it! Do you know what tests they run for this type thing??

Thanks

I am not trying to scare you I just went through this (actually, still am) going through it myself. Of course it can be other things but what I learned is that these are not things that you can mess around with. My Rheumy and GP both told me that this was something to talk to a Neuro about. I called and the neuro got me in the same week.

For me they quickly did an MRI to rule out a tumor and did an EEG. Other tests followed and for me it turned out to be seizures. I went months with the smells not knowing it was anything important. I now wonder what would have happened had I gone to the Neuro more quickly instead of waiting so long. I just want you to not make the same mistake that I did.

I didn't mean to scare you I just wanted you to know not to mess around with this!

Thanks

I've heard the same thing as what tgal said. Although I'm not having seizures, my neuro recently put me on Topomax to control migraines. They also discovered that I have a meningioma-which can affect various senses. I absolutely agree that you should get thoroughly examined. The meningioma was evident on a CT scan of the brain, which prompted an MRI of the brain the following day. Please let us know what they determine the cause is.

Thanks

Thank you both!! and no, I'm not any more scared than having Lupus is scarey and weird things are always a little almarming!
    But that's why I love this board...we're never alone!!

Thanks

Well said frekkuls! We are never alone here

Thanks

So, if I frequently smell a strong smell of cigarette smoke, and no one else smells it, and no one anywhere is smoking, is this the same thing?

Thanks

Actually yes, smoke is a very common aura. Due to the type of illness that we have there can be several causes. Tumors, seizures, migraines, etc but the point is this:

If you smell something that isn't there and you smell something no one else can smell you need to make an appointment with a neurologist.

For months I smelled what I thought was burning rubber. I would go through my office looking at all the machines thinking the fax machine or the copier was having electrical issues. I would check each machine and stick my nose down by it searcing for that smell. I would smell the burning rubber smell at my home and I would search the house for an electrical fire and wonder why no one else could smell it. Finally on a day where I smelled it at my home, my work and in my car did I figure out that it was me, not the buildings. I wish I would have figured it out sooner.

Go see a neuro. It can't hurt anything. What's another doctor when you already have 200
    Last edited by tgal; 05-17-2010 at 09:52 AM.

Thanks

Sigh, I guess it's time to figure out how to pay for more medical bills.

I have, for about a year now, smelled a strong smell of cigarette smoke in our office, and it;s a smoke free building. I had the maintanence workers crawling all over the roof checking the ventilation system, checking around the building for errant smokers smoking too close to the building, but, nothing ever turned up. No one else could smell it but me. Then I started noticing it in other places, and now I think you're right. I need to have that checked.