Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What jobs do you guys have?

Thanks

hi think got worst jobs work in a residential home for the elderly. Very demanding at times all have dementia glad i only work lates part time with having 2 young kids.
    been there for years so i will stay there very close were i live next to primary school aswell. only just found out might have it few months ago.
    changing benifits now see what happens from uk.

Thanks

Hi Tracy,
    It's nice to hear your working mate especially with elderly people,as i think this condition on it's own is nerve racking enough.
    Well Tracy all i can say is i wish you all the very best with it mate, as the last 2 days have been a nightmare for me but i've always missed work and mixing with people besides my hubby i see my neighbour and ain't that poor for 42.
    I don't know how it works with SLE with benefits but i wish you all the best and when you know exactley what you have please let us now.

Love Terri xxx

Thanks

I am a photographer for a very busy retail chain. Feb will be 20 years. Started having symptoms a couple months ago, which I am realizing now has been a blessing to have at this time of the year. We start holiday portraits October. Which I have not been able to photograph for a couple weeks. I have been however able to run the front area, which can be a bit more stressful due to dealing with guests complaining about the long wait times etc. I am just praying that I start to feel better so when the season dies down, I will be able to photograph again. Finacially, I can't afford to quit. I have 3 children, 17 (senior in highschool, putting in applications to colleges) 14 (freshman in hs) and a big surprise 4 year old (pre k). So, don't have much of a choice as to working when not feeling well. I have too.

Thanks

Hi Jim & Tgal,

If you need meds while you are unemployed and don't have insurance, check out needymeds.org. You may find relief there for medications. I hope and pray you are both doing okay and have found a job that works best with Lupus.

Jim - if you are considering filing for disability, it would be best to check into it now with an attorney as they use your income from the preceding 10 years as of the date you file. It's in your best interest to have the highest quarters of those ten years. If your union rep has documentation that you were laid off due to Lupus; disability shouldn't be hard to prove. I hope you have found another position with another school district and feel better.

Take care & God Bless!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

just cam across this thread and thoguht i would add my two pence worth! when i was diagnosed i was ni the week working in a nursery looking after children between 6 months and 5 years and then at weekends working in a retail shop! but my body was coping with it and i got signed off work and have now been off for 7 years but i haven't given up going to computer class and then on do an accounts course last july i finished advance but due to lots of flaring and bugs i had picked up i didn't do so well only passing half! so i am giving myself a year break before getting back to it! my final goal is to be a self employed accountant so i have no boss to worry about and i can work around my illness having a nap in afternoon working in pj if spoons need to be saved and so on!

love to you all xx

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I miss my work. I used to own my own business with 20 or so employees. I was in the firearms industry for 16 years and did contract work for the Dept. of Defense. Had to quit and sell the business back in 2004 when I got the SLE diagnosis. Firearms, explosives, and brain fog are a very bad combination. I've been on full disability since late 2004 and with my second overlapping diagnosis of MS on top of SLE, the chances of my ever returning to work, even part time, are slim to none. Before going into business for myself, I served 6 years in the Army as a tank crewman. Commanding an M-1A1 Abrams Tank is probably the most exciting job I've ever done. I also got to build a couple of guns that were used in a couple of movies, and that was pretty exciting too. I miss it all, but, what can you do. Gotta just accept things as they are and make the best of what you have today. I got really tired of looking back and asking "why me". I try to live for today and keep an optimistic attitude about the future. Most days, I think I succeed. Anyway, I'm just rambling.

Rob
    Last edited by rob; 12-14-2010 at 09:31 AM.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    I miss my work. I used to own my own business with 20 or so employees. I was in the firearms industry for 16 years and did contract work for the Dept. of Defense. Had to quit and sell the business back in 2004 when I got the SLE diagnosis. Firearms, explosives, and brain fog are a very bad combination. I've been on full disability since late 2004 and with my second overlapping diagnosis of MS on top of SLE, the chances of my ever returning to work, even part time, are slim to none. Before going into business for myself, I served 6 years in the Army as a tank crewman. Commanding an M-1A1 Abrams Tank is probably the most exciting job I've ever done. I also got to build a couple of guns that were used in a couple of movies, and that was pretty exciting too. I miss it all, but, what can you do. Gotta just accept things as they are and make the best of what you have today. I got really tired of looking back and asking "why me". I try to live for today and keep an optimistic attitude about the future. Most days, I think I succeed. Anyway, I'm just rambling.

Rob
    You do succeed wonderfully. We don't know what we would do without you and Susie!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Faith View Post
    Hi Jim & Tgal,

If you need meds while you are unemployed and don't have insurance, check out needymeds.org. You may find relief there for medications. I hope and pray you are both doing okay and have found a job that works best with Lupus.

Jim - if you are considering filing for disability, it would be best to check into it now with an attorney as they use your income from the preceding 10 years as of the date you file. It's in your best interest to have the highest quarters of those ten years. If your union rep has documentation that you were laid off due to Lupus; disability shouldn't be hard to prove. I hope you have found another position with another school district and feel better.

Take care & God Bless!
    Thanks for the info, faith! I will check into it! I also know you can go to the manufacturer and they will send the meds for free if the need is there. The problem I have with that is they need a prescription which I do not have and can't get until I can afford the doctor. It is a great program though. We did it for my mom when she had terminal cancer and she never paid for her medicine.
    Last edited by tgal; 12-14-2010 at 09:57 AM.
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

Thanks

I am a Registered Nurse. It is really becoming hard for me to keep up the demands of being a floor nurse. My coworkers know I have Lupus and help me as much as they can, I have no idea if my manager knows or not. There is another nurse on my floor with Lupus and every day she cries at work and refuses assignments because of Lupus, so my manager has been heard making jokes about Lupus in front of the other nurses. I am going to school to be a Nurse Practitioner so my job will be less physically demanding, thank goodness I only have trouble with brain fog when Im having a bad flare.