Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What jobs do you guys have?

Thanks

Very very well put Karen. I am in the educational field now and all my coworkers know about my lupus and are very understanding and help me out when possible. I am sure that not everybody has a positive bunch of co-workers. Takd care. Jim.
    Quote Originally Posted by karenboss View Post
    I work aas a product manager at a large distribution company - the smartest move I've made was to not disclose my condition. If I'm sick, I call in sick. When I'm having thinking problems I try to defer and avoid and try to make it up by tackling the more challenging projects when I'm feeling sharp. I've only been dxed for two years and it was just after a promotion. I think there are a lot of misunderstandings about Lupus including gender slurrs. I'm sure you've noticed there's not a faster way to quite a room then to mention that you have Lupus! This way no one gives me any advise, looks pityinly at me or cuts me extra slack. It's no one's business and if you tell people you are limited they will expect and look for those limitations, if you don't mention it they are less likely to notice. I do sometimes fight my reputation, some people probably think I'm an occasional 'ditz' but everyone has thier molments and I just let them think what they think.

You're very young and you have you're whole life and career ahead of you, personally, I would urge you to decide on a career based on your passions not your limitations. I really hope you will think about that.
    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulations, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort wich we ourselves are comforted by God. 2 Corinthians 1:3

Thanks

Im a 911 dispatch supervisor. It's a demanding high stress job, but, I love it. I have also chosen not to tell my boss about my Lupus. I just worry that I may be passed over for promotion based on a concern that I won't be able to handle it. No, she would never tell me that was why, but, we all know that employers have a way of covering themselves. She would use some other reason. Perhaps I am selling her short, and maybe she would be great about it, but, I just can't take that risk.

Thanks

I was a high school Latin teacher. I had no problem telling my colleagues and my principal. Since Latin teachers are hard to find, they probably would have let me stay until I died in the classroom - LOL. However, the stress was getting to be too much for me and my hubby got the opportunity to study for a PHD in another state, so here we are. Now, my job is to keep the super student clean and fed and stay out of his way when he needs to study. I also do volunteer work, and I was recently elected the 2nd VP of the school's Officers' Spouses' Club.

Find what you love to do in life and do it until it isn't fun anymore. I've done several fun jobs throughout my life and I've had a rich and full life because of them. (Daycare owner, midwife's assistant, singer, teacher and most importantly, mother of 5 and wife of an AF Officer)
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

I work at a gas station YAY!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

wow it's taken me ages to reply eh? :P
    i live in the okanagan valley

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Ha no worries, thanks for replying anyway. Its nice to have somebody in the same province, just still a little bit too far away. The okanagan valley is nice though, been there quite a few times camping when I was a little girl.

Thanks

I work at a Veterans Home as a Housekeeper and I love what I do and being around the members. My boss does know I have Lupus and while I am newly dx'd, I haven't had any major problems with it. I do get stiff a lot and I get pains that don't go away for several days but I still manage to go to work. My biggest problem right now is that I don't have any medical insurance and am not really sure how to tackle that problem. Any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Smile

I just reread this thread. It's interesting to see what we all do to support ourselves.
    Let's see if anyone adds an update or someone adds a new job

nonna

still doing accounting but i've added media reconciliation as I work at an advertising agency

Thanks

Update, due to the effects of this wonderfull disease I was unable to continue at my place of work and was laid off, so now we are just trying to make it from day to day. fun fun fun!
    Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulations, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort wich we ourselves are comforted by God. 2 Corinthians 1:3

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scubagramplit View Post
    Update, due to the effects of this wonderfull disease I was unable to continue at my place of work and was laid off, so now we are just trying to make it from day to day. fun fun fun!
    Welcome to the wonderful world of the unemployed. Same thing happened to me. It is tough and hard choices have to be made but once you start making them the stress level drops and you do feel a bit better. I can say that now only because I am over the anger, turned back my car to the lender and have cried enough tears to fill a pool! I don't know where this journey is going to lead me but it is amazing how little it actually takes to live.

Let me know if you ever need to vent. I am always willing to be a shoulder to cry on or an ear to scream in!