Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What jobs do you guys have?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Question What jobs do you guys have?

I graduated last year and am heading into college this fall. My current employer at the deli I work at is AMAZING. She's pretty much an angel. She has worked with me and changed my schedule countless times as I was newly diagnosed and had no clue what I could and couldn't handle. Even now that I've found a schedule that suits my current needs, she will usually come up to me during my shifts and ask me if I'm doing alright and to let her know if I need anything. I know I've been very blessed.

So it makes me a bit nervous to know that I'll be leaving that job next year and trying to find a job as a medical office assistant..which is what I'm going to college for. I know I've been very blessed and not many are as lucky as I am when it comes to employers. I hope MOA will be a job that I can handle even if my employer is a jerk. I figured this is a job where I can sit down so it should be okay.

What jobs have you guys pursued? I've been trying to do some research and figure out what else I could do. I've considered going into freelance writing full-time rather than just writing an article every few months. I've also considered going back to piano lessons and then taking my teachers exam so I can teach. Do any of you work from home? What do you do?

Thanks

Hi and welcome! I was diagnosed with SLE, Sjogren's, and Reynaud's starting in 2006, but I believe I had them for about 8 years before that. I'm really sorry you are going through all of this, it's certainly not fun, but I'm glad you have such a wonderful boss - they are hard to find!

I'm a teacher, and it's a good career for me most of the time. What helps a lot as far as my health is that I have the summers off to regain my health again, along with breaks during the year which help a lot. (spring break, Christmas break, etc.)

I'm very blessed to work for a principal who is amazing at making accomodations I need. I can't participate in committees or activities that meet in the evening, because the fatigue hits me by 5:30 during the fall/winter, and 6:00 or 6:30 in the spring. If it's something I am required to do, like Curriculum Night or parent conferences, I take off the morning to rest and work the afternoon and evening. I have very strong photosensitivity, so when we have all outdoor activities like Field Day, he makes sure someone is available to cover my class if we're in an area without shade. That said, teaching is hard emotionally and I'm drained by the end of the day. I'm often behind in grading papers because I just don't have the energy at the end of the day for anything.

I'm very aware that there will likely come a day that I can no longer teach; that I won't be able to manage a full time schedule anymore. I'm hoping to work from home somehow, preferably writing. I'm 42 now, and can retire when I'm 54. I hope and pray I stay healthy enough to retire!

What might help you is to pay attention to when you feel at your best and when you feel at your worst, then plan work accordingly. For example, I feel best in the morning, after I've had the night to rest and restore my body. So a teaching schedule works for me. I couldn't manage an afternoon/evening schedule on a regular basis. For you it may be very different. If you find that mornings are worse for you, look at a career that will allow you to work later in the day. I've learned that the biggest key to living semi-successfully with lupus is to listen to your body.
    Love...faith...joy...hope...strength...
    Lupus, you have no chance!

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl
    (mom to my little Chihuahua, Brandi)

Diagnosed with SLE, Sjogren's, Reynaud's, Celiac, and arthritis November 2006.

Thanks

I work aas a product manager at a large distribution company - the smartest move I've made was to not disclose my condition. If I'm sick, I call in sick. When I'm having thinking problems I try to defer and avoid and try to make it up by tackling the more challenging projects when I'm feeling sharp. I've only been dxed for two years and it was just after a promotion. I think there are a lot of misunderstandings about Lupus including gender slurrs. I'm sure you've noticed there's not a faster way to quite a room then to mention that you have Lupus! This way no one gives me any advise, looks pityinly at me or cuts me extra slack. It's no one's business and if you tell people you are limited they will expect and look for those limitations, if you don't mention it they are less likely to notice. I do sometimes fight my reputation, some people probably think I'm an occasional 'ditz' but everyone has thier molments and I just let them think what they think.

You're very young and you have you're whole life and career ahead of you, personally, I would urge you to decide on a career based on your passions not your limitations. I really hope you will think about that.
    much love to all my lupie friends -

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm a groom right now but I will be stopping very soon as it's too physically demanding for me. As much as I love it its messing with my treatment, as my pills are supposed to help me feel better but I push my body so hard on a day to day basis that its almost pointless to take any medication to stop that pain as I just bring it back! haha.
    Not sure where to go from there really...Anything physical is not realy an option for me as I have bad hands and a really bad hip, so I'm looking for other animal related career's and that's what I want to do and there's no changing my mind as its my passion.

By the way, which province are you from!? I'm so happy to see another Canadian!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi, welcome to WHL

I do accounting. I've been at it for over 30 years. It's just the past six months where my brain fogs have caused errors. My boss knows that I have problems. In my line you can't hide it; too much is riding on what I do.

My boss won't let me quit; we just go back and fix the errors. she tells me I can't use my physical condition as an excuse. I like what I do. Obviously or I still won't be doing it.

Hugs and Welcome!!!
    Nonna
    Last edited by Nonna; 05-13-2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: one of these days I'll read it before i post it

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi I have been an auto mechanic for 27 yrs. not the best job with lupus.lucky I have an understanding boss.I go to the doctors alot and stay home when I feel bad.I live in florida too so the sun is a challange too.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm not actually Canadian but I do live in Canada = ) I live in BC.
    (I'm still a German citizen though)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Me too! May I ask what area? I'm in the Fraser Valley, near Vancouver. I don't mean to hijack this thread...Just excited ha.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

That's awesome that you have someone that can work with your health. I am a paramedic and have been in EMS for 6 years now. It is physically and emotionally demanding and I hurt a lot. We work 24 or 48 hour shifts at times and it sucks. Between lifting fat people, carrying our 100lb bags and standing on freeways for hours in the sun and or rain and or snow, it sucks. Being 5'' and 115lbs it is hard on my body. I never seem to catch up on my sleep either, but it is nice to be off rotating days during the week. The pay kind of sucks too. If you can't tell, don't go into EMS with this disease. LOL. I'm in nursing school now and there are so many things you can do with a nursing degree that are so much less physically and emotionally demanding. Hopefully I'll only be in this for about another year. Don't get me wrong, I love my job and it's so satisfying but I can't keep doing this otherwise I'm going to run myself into the ground. Good luck with your studies and deciding on what you want to do. Hope all is well with you.
    Micromedic
    I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for someone I'm not.

Thanks

I actually just started my externship for MOA this week, I got placed in a pediatrics office and I'm loving it! It's hectic, my certification will be through the AAMA and it's administrative and clinical.. right now I'm working on the clinical skills and it can be demanding, but it's very rewarding. I'm heading into nursing school also.

My "real" job at the moment (the one that pays me as I don't get paid for my externship because it's school credit) is a bookkeeper at Home Depot, I used to be a Head Cashier, but the running around and being on my feet all day was getting a bit much.... Working in bookkeeping right now is nice because I can sit down when I need to. I'm pretty new in my diagnosis, so we're still trying to find that magic combination of meds, so my current job has been a blessing for adjusting to things. I'm hoping that once I'm able to get an MOA job I'll have evened out and *hopefully* be in remission... Honestly, the steady sleep schedule with my externship has helped alot!! The crazy unpredictable scheduling of a typical retail job is exhausting.
    Shannon
    Divorced
    Registered Nurse
    Proud Momma to an 8 month old kitten. She was on death's door when I found her and now she growing up into a beautiful cat, she's my baby.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...
    The courage to change the things I can...
    And the wisdom to know the difference.