Thread: Cold?

Hybrid View

Thanks

Question Cold?

Hmmm... I'm getting a cold. It started yesterday, but nothing *big*. Just a little achy. Today I felt alright, but I couldn't talk much and my throat was raw (which makes me think I had sinus drainage during the night)... now... I feel about like I did when I had bronchitis. I'm doing the "seal cough" and my chest hurts. I'm also achy/weak.

What would be ok for me to take? I still haven't gotten a referral to the rheumy and I gave it a week. I'm calling the doctor tomorrow, sick or not. But.. yeah. I don't want to take any chances on this, and don't want to take something that I'm not supposed to just in case this *is* Lupus, kwim?

(I'm sorry if it seems I just post my problems. I'm having a hard time coming to terms with this.)

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Hi itsnikki!,

If I'm reading correctly, you have not recieved a Lupus diagnosis at this point. I think the safe thing is to take inventory of whatever meds you are currently taking and make sure that there will be no bad drug interaction with the cold meds you are considering taking. People with Lupus, or who suspect they may have Lupus, should avoid Sulfa drugs, but you're not likely to take Sulfa for a cold. Personally, if I get a cold, I take Tylenol PM which helps me with the headache and with the runny nose because it contains the Tylenol as well as the same ingredient in Benadryl. Makes you sleepy though. Of course, it's always wise to ask your Dr. before taking any med. If the Dr. isn't available right away, I find that the Pharmacist can give you good advice on drug interactions for both prescription and OTC meds, and their advice is free, and fast.

Rob

PS-Problems need answers, and you don't get answers by not posting them. Don't worry!
    Last edited by rob; 05-12-2010 at 06:18 AM.

Thanks

I do feel like a goober now. But... I didn't know! *lol* Thanks for awnsering, though. I still have the chest pain pretty bad... and last time I just... didn't take anything. Well, that was a mistake! (bronchitis. Ugh.) So this time, I'm going to try to clear it up.

Darn Rheumy needs to call! I don't know what the hold up is. *sigh*