Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wine... It Helped, But How?

Thanks

Default Wine... It Helped, But How?

Hi all. I was having a really bad day after going into a bright flourescent environment today for 30 minutes. I felt so bad that I had to lay down for a couple of hours, and at dinner simply didn't think I could eat. DH poured a small glass of wine for me, as it has helped in the past. Within 10 minutes of the first few sips, I truly felt 90% better (almost to my normal self).

Has anyone experienced this? I have experienced the same reaction a number of times (Rhuemy is fine with a glass with dinner; only on Plaquenil). Any idea why it helps with that horribly uncomfortable feeling I get on occasion... almost the kind of all body ache that comes with the flu?

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks!

Thanks

I don't know that there is any scientific reason for it, but I usually sleep better on the nights after I'm able to have a glass or two. Perhaps it is just enough of a relaxant for our tense muscles? However, I was at a party last night and had way more than two, so I slept terribly.
    I take both plaquenil and methotrexate, but my rheumy is also OK with the alcohol once or twice a week.
    Marla

Thanks

Wine definitely makes symptoms worse for me, including joint pain. I don't know how and don't undurstand why but I feel much worse immediately after a glass of wine, and its bad effect lasts at least 24 hours.
    (it is red wine)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

First let me say that alcohol is a depressent. It causes us to relax, our muscles relax and we can usually sleep better. My family history is obviously Italian; I have grown up drinking wine. I know that the firmentation process uses enzymes and that they are helpful to the digestive system. My grandmother, my Nonna, always said that one glass a day was good for you. As always small doses, moderation is usually good.

I'm not saying that this is good for everyone. Always check with your Docs; never try anything without checking; I check with the Docs and with my favorite pharmacist. Beware alcohol is a drug like any of the other ones we take. WATCH THE INTERACTIONS

nonna
    Last edited by Nonna; 05-09-2010 at 05:34 AM. Reason: I can't type on this thing as always

Thanks

OK, so, it's not wine for me, it's caffeine. I know Im supposed to avoid it, but, it really helps.

Thanks

Give me coffee, or give me death!! Life would not be worth living without my daily coffee. I don't drink soda at all, I've given up most sweets and we're eating a very healthy diet. BUT, I draw the line at my coffee!
    Hugs,
    Marla
    (Who should have bought stock in Starbucks years ago)

Thanks

I don't drink wine or coffee, but I NEED my mug full of Pepsi One when I get home from work. I don't know if it's psychological or not, but I kick off my shoes, turn on my salt lamp, have a big mug full of Pepsi One,sit with Brandi (my dog) on the couch, and all is right with the world again. The exhaustion fades slowly, and after an hour or so, I'm able to tackle making dinner. The same thing happens when I'm not feeling well - with a glass of Pepsi One the exhaustion lessens and I feel much better. I'd like to say I've given up sweets and everything else, but umm, not quite yet. Thinking about it though!
    Love...faith...joy...hope...strength...
    Lupus, you have no chance!

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl
    (mom to my little Chihuahua, Brandi)

Diagnosed with SLE, Sjogren's, Reynaud's, Celiac, and arthritis November 2006.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Ok, I may drink wine; but I am a "coke-a-holic", diet coke now. But I always have a can or glass with me. I know it's bad but I'm addicted.
    Nonna

Thanks

Well, not too long ago, I read an article that linked caffeine to improvement in arthritis pain. It was actually in a magazine, I think called Arthritis Now, or something like that, and it was in my doctor's office. I have to admit to feeling a bit of vindication because, like Magistramarla, I too should have stock in Starbucks, or they at least should name a coffee after me. I can't remember what they said they believed the reason for the lessening of pain and other sypmtoms. All I know is that I can feel myself crumbling a bit at a time and then I drink a coffee and within a half hour I am able to function again. Ive tried going without it and I always end up flat on my back exhausted, in pain, and depressed from all that Im missing. I know going off caffeine causes headaches until your body adjusts to the lack of it, and that caffeine makes your blood thinner, so, if it didn't help I wouldn't drink it. Yes I love the taste, but, I am really trying to eat healthier to preserve what little good health I have left.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

A balance of caffeine is also used to control migraines. Once again the fine line. I for one am not going to give up my caffeine

nonna