Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: feeling the mental challenge

Thanks

Default feeling the mental challenge

Hello once again everyone!! So this is about my mental state.... I feel like my joint pain and majority of my inflamation has subsided with very little medication, (only 2.5 mg of prednisone a day)..I feel like mentally, im having more trouble than physically these days. I have soooo much anxiety, (which i controll with verry little xanax) I just dont feel like my self. I hate to say it, but i think that i'm depressed!! So on top of being tired and achey from the Lupus...Im having a hard time getting moving, and doing things because of depression and anxiety!! I just need some suggestions in how to get back out there and doing things when I am feeling good physically!!! THanks again!!
    _Sarah

Thanks

So your telling me, better yet, not telling me, that not one other person out there has also had to overcome mental hurdles with depression and anxiety due to their RX.....WOW!!! You guys are amazing!!! Guess I'll have to look for someone else to help me with these issues...
    Thanks anyways...
    _Sarah

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Sarah,
    We all go through it. I'm feeling it very much at the moment. sometime I feel like - I don't want to do this anymore. then I think of my family and draw strength from them. we all have good days and bad days and yes this includes the mental/emotional aspects.
    As to whether it's due to the RX's I don't know; I tend to think it's more of dealing with Lupus and all the pain.

Try to go with the flow and find strength from those around you and maybe faith in the lord

Nonna

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

I deal with depression and brainfog on a daily basis. It's hard when you know that there's nothing really bad happening in your life at the time, yet you have this depression that will not let up. Wish I had some suggestions for helping to deal with it, but I'm kind of stuck too. I had a bad experience with antidepressants a few years ago, so I will not take the stuff.

Just an FYI Sarah, this site has seen alot of activity lately, which is a good thing. However, it also means that some peoples questions might slip by without an answer. As moderator I try to make sure no post goes unanswered, but sometimes I miss a post. In the future, if you are not getting any responses to a particular thread, just respond to your own thread with the message "Bump to Top", and it will go to the top of the page where it hopefully will not be missed a second time around. If you really want to talk and your post is unanswered, you can always PM myself or Saysusie, and we'll help in any way we can.

Rob

Thanks

Thank u guys....Rob- Sry if I came off a little snippy....I was having one of those days.lol. I appreciate the comments. I dont think that I need antidepressents, I have to just dig deep, surrond myself with positive friends and family, and hopefully get out of this stupid fog!! Im Feeling like a ZOMBIE!! Hang in there too you too....MiND OVER MATTER!!! "Life's a garden, Dig it" -Joe Dirt...lol that's a good one.
    -SARAH

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I also sent you a PM a long time ago Sarah and you did not respond to me so, don't think you're not noticed!

Thanks

Hi Sarah,

I'm sorry I missed your post the first time, because I can totally relate to your situation! I struggle with depression periodically, especially when I am in or just getting out of a major flare. What one of my doctors reminded me of, though, is that prednisone can cause mood swings/depression/anxiety. And when I stopped to think about it, that was true for me. It's when I'm on prednisone, or weaning off it, that the depression hits. It's exactly the same for me - the depression is often worse than the physical problems I have with lupus. Sometimes...!

So what has helped me? One thing is to keep in mind that it's not me, it's the medication, this is not who I am, and I will get through it just like I"ve gotten through every other challenge lupus has put in my way.

My tendency is to isolate when I'm depressed, as some people here have already noticed. I try really hard not to do that, but sometimes I just can't manage it. Sometimes it helps if I force myself to do just one thing to reach out to others when I'm depressed. Maybe that means going to church on Sunday. Or maybe it's sending an e-mail to a friend. The thing is, when I do that, people almost always respond to me, and it helps the depression a little, for me at least. I also give my family and friends a heads-up, saying I'm having a reaction to my medication, which is causing depression, so to please understand if I'm not myself right now. They're pretty used to it by now.

Another thing I have found helpful is to try to plan small things I can look forward to, always reminding myself that the depression is from the prednisone, not who I am, and I am stronger than lupus is!! Some days it might be just taking a bubble bath, or listening to my ipod. Some days it might be going to a lupus support group later in the week, or going to the pet store to buy a new toy for my dog. She lights up adorably whenever she gets a new toy, and watching her makes me feel a bit lighter too. And truthfully, sometimes I just resort to chocolate!
    Love...faith...joy...hope...strength...
    Lupus, you have no chance!

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl
    (mom to my little Chihuahua, Brandi)

Diagnosed with SLE, Sjogren's, Reynaud's, Celiac, and arthritis November 2006.

rob is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the World
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,105 Times in 628 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah2010 View Post
    Thank u guys....Rob- Sry if I came off a little snippy....I was having one of those days.lol. I appreciate the comments. I dont think that I need antidepressents, I have to just dig deep, surrond myself with positive friends and family, and hopefully get out of this stupid fog!! Im Feeling like a ZOMBIE!! Hang in there too you too....MiND OVER MATTER!!! "Life's a garden, Dig it" -Joe Dirt...lol that's a good one.
    -SARAH
    You know, being a little snippy from time to time isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Thanks

Sarah how have you managed your anxiety and depression 3 months from your first post? Just interested, and hoping your strategies might be helpful to me also
    Diagnosed with Lupus - 22 June, 2010

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi Sarah,

Oh you sound so much like me when I first started getting sick. I am not saying the outcome for you will be like it was for me but I went through the whole " I don't need meds for my mood I simply need to "man up". I could wrap my mind around the fact that my body was attacking itself and I could wrap my mind around the fact that my body no longer listened to me and I could even wrap my mind around the fact that I lived in a constant state of "brain fog" but I couldn't accept that my brain wasn't working properly and giving me the right amount of chemicals needed for my moods OR that I just had too much on my plate to handle it alone. I tried for a long time to "deal with it and stay positive". For me it didn't work. When I finally gave in and got on the meds I was surprised to find that I was still having brain fog and I still fought the depression it was simply at a level I could deal with now. I hope your outcome is better than mine.

This is a nasty disease and the one thing I no longer overlook is the effect it has on my mood and brain. Both of those are part of my body and they don't get off scott free in this.

Best of luck to you!