Thread: Hello

Thanks

Red face Hello

Hello all, new here. I have been lurking on several sites to find the right fit for me and this site seemed the most warm and genuine. You all are so very knowlegeable and you actually research before you answe,r which is a great comfort.

I have had autoimmune signs and symptoms for the last 10 yrs, starting with reynauds, and have been diagnosed with several different diseases by 3 different rheumatologist, who all seemed unconcerned and never did any kind of dianostics. My current rheumatologist (who has been really great) has finally narrowed it down, through in-depth exams and blood tests, to lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, with the possibility of MCTD. I have been seeing him for the last 2 years.

I decided to finally join this group because of a scare I had on Wednesday. I was taken to the hospital from work with chest pains. 6 hours later the finding was costochondritis which could be because of the autoimmune stuff or not, the ER doc could not say for sure. Just glad it wasn't heart or lungs. I finally have realized that I need someone to talk to.

Thank you all for being here.

Thanks

Hi Gadgetgeek,
    Welcome to WHL and I love the name! I'm married to an electrical engineer, and gadgetgeek could easily describe him, too.
    I looked up costochondritis, and I recognized it. Many years ago, when my hubby was working on his EE degree, I rushed him to the hospital with the same sort of pain in his chest. He got the same diagnosis. They said that the inflammation might have happened because he was under stress with exams. Anyway, I'm glad that you got it checked out - that sort of pain is nothing to mess around with. I'm also glad that it led you to join us. We're a friendly group, and we're always here to listen.
    We seem to have a MCTD fad going on - there are a lot of us with that diagnosis. Mine is Lupus, Sjogren's, RA and Psoriatic arthritis, with Raynaud's, Spasmodic Dysphonia and Meniere's thrown in for good measure.
    Feel free to come back to chat, and let us know what your PCP has to say when you go in for your follow-up.
    Hugs,
    Marla

Thanks

Hi Marla,
    Thank you for the warm welcome! Ha ha, my dear husband dubbed me gadget geek a few years ago and it stuck. I like it better than "techno snob" by my oldest daughter ha ha. I just love all things gadget, even some of the goofy little toys that come in my grandchildren's kids meals. I guess being in an engineering field just leads us that way, I am a computer drafter/designer and graphics person.

I guess that stress can really sneak up on a person. I didn't really feel stressed, but the 2 and a half days off from work (the half spent in the hospital) really helped. I am still feeling tired, but not as sore. I will be calling for a follow up this next week and I am sure that all will be well. My rheumatologist had already been notified. I really appreciate you listening!

I am finding that MCTD is really fairly common it seems, although the medical stuff that I read calls it rare. My doc is still watching and waiting for other things to develop, he's leaning towards polymyositis. My fingers and toes are constantly swollen and he says that is a typical symptom... I am also waiting to get in to a dermatologist, my rash keeps playing hide and seek though, so I have canceled once. Rheum said it might be psoriasis, is that the same thing as psoriatic arthritis? I am on methotrexate and that seems to be handling it for now, just occasional eruptions. I am also on plaquenell (sp) which seems to by typical also. I must confess I know nothing of the Spasmodic Dysphonia adn Meniere's, though it seem like I have heard those names before. I hope that you have them well controled and you are feeling well.

Once agian, thank you Marla! I am so thankful for people like you who are willing to share their experience. Happy Mother's day to you!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hello Gadgetgeek:
    Welcome to our family. If you read through the forums here, you will find that many of our members have suffered from costochondritis. Since auto-immune diseases (such as Lupus and MCTD) are diseases that cause inflammation throughout the body, we often get inflammation of the rib or the cartilage
    connecting a rib. It is, actually, a common cause of chest pain.

MCTD is also quite common amongst our members here and it causes overlapping features of primarily three connective tissue diseases lupus, scleroderma and polymyositis. Usually, with MCTD, one of these diseases becomes prominent and then a diagnosis can be made. You mentioned that your doctor was leaning towards polymyositis. It can, however, take months to years before any one disease takes prominence and many patients are left with a MCTD diagnosis for lengthy periods of time.

I am glad that you found us and that you decided to join us. As you've seen, our members are genuine in their care for one another and we are diligent in our efforts to provide information, answers, and comfort. Once again....welcome

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Hi Saysusie,
    Thank you for the warm welcome! I had never heard of costochondritis until Wednesday, and now I am hearing several stories of trips to the ER with that diagnosis. Mostly those that have auto-immune diseases. I am just thankful that was what it was.

My doctor did comment that some people never go into one of the diseaes and continue on with overlapping diseases. He did say that it doesn't lessen the severity of the symptoms though. For now he is sticking with lupus/ra and just mentioning polymyositis. I seem to get lost in the technical stuff, so I rely on other's experinces. Thank you all for that.

I really appreciate that you all know what you are talking about and are not afraid to defer to someone else, but still offer comfort and kind words.

Thank you again for the warm welcome!